Fuel Lines

Started by Red90, November 22, 2015, 08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

FYI, this is where I got the ORD/NPT adapters.  Good price for a Canadian supplier.  http://clicksupplies.ca/en/product/nt3269-05-04/

binch

Hi John,

I'm just putting together my shopping list to fetch all the parts and I'm reading over your instructions again.    In the last bit you wrote: 

"The other main fittings are the fuel return at the injection pump and the return and supply at the tank.  These all use metal tubing.  Now for the fun part.  Some tubes are 5/16" and some are 8 mm...   5/16" is 7.94 mm.  It is VERY close, but not close enough for a compression fitting.  Metric tubing fittings are very uncommon in Canada as well.  I had not noticed the problem when I did mine and used 5/16" to 3/8" tubing unions.  I was able to drill out the 5/16" slightly to fit the 8 mm tubing....  Your mileage may vary.  I don't know if you can get a single fitting to change from 8 mm to imperial and you probably would need to use two fittings."

When you drilled out the 5/16" are you referring to the opening of the compression nut only?  Or did you have to do the olive too? 

Thank's again for this write up.....Great stuff!!!
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on February 07, 2016, 01:54 PMWhen you drilled out the 5/16" are you referring to the opening of the compression nut only?  Or did you have to do the olive too?

I drilled both the nut and olive (ferrule).

binch

Quote from: Red90 on February 07, 2016, 07:46 AM
FYI, this is where I got the ORD/NPT adapters.  Good price for a Canadian supplier.  http://clicksupplies.ca/en/product/nt3269-05-04/

Do you mean ORB or ORD here?    I see further above you use ORD..... :o

What brass couplings are you using to go from the nylon tube to the sedimentor and the fuel pump, and were they from Home depot too?

What copper washers did you use with the adaptors at the sedimentor and fuel pump please?
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Red90

Quote from: binch on February 07, 2016, 02:22 PM

What brass couplings are you using to go from the nylon tube to the sedimentor and the fuel pump, and were they from Home depot too?

What copper washers did you use with the adaptors at the sedimentor and fuel pump please?

3/8" tube x 1/4" NPT. Either straight or elbow. You can get them at a hardware store.  Make sure you use a tubing insert. Some fittings come with them.

1/2" washer. You can buy a nice assortment box at Princess Auto.  The threads on a -5 fitting is 1/2" UNF.

binch

sorry john....one more question and then I'll quite...for now  ;)

"-5 ORB to 1/4" FNPT adapters"    is it FNPT or NPT?

thanks...

Cheers, Bill

Red90

The ones I bought were F. FNPT means Female NPT. MNPT means Male NPT. It is just stating whether the treads are male or female. NPT means National Pipe Thread.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on February 07, 2016, 03:24 PM
The ones I bought were F. FNPT means Female NPT. MNPT means Male NPT. It is just stating whether the treads are male or female. NPT means National Pipe Thread.

Thanks for clarifying that  ;)
Cheers, Bill

camo388

Don't want to hijack the post but with your 2 tank system, would you consider having 1 tank as reserve and with in-line pump transfer into the working tank? 
When I change Lightweight gas engine to diesel, (and my 110 where I've added a 90 side tank), I'm thinking it might be simpler to have one tank to work from and other as reserve to transfer from.  Advantage especially with 110, is suction/ return lines already in place to rear tank.  Big disadvantage is if working tank is condemned/ damaged and therefore not workable, you can't isolate and draw from reserve tank.  Has this been an issue with those of you on long overland trips such as Mackenzie Trail?  Or am I over thinking this?  By the way a NAPA inline fuel pump start at $70 so cheaper than 2 of 3 port valves that John has used.
For added information to those adding a second tank, Colin used this from Princess Auto and thought it ideal. 
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/20-gpm-2-position-6-way-selector-valve/A-p8173932e
Pricey, but John says his 3 port valves were $50 each so not a great deal more.  But as he noted with 6 way valve you can not transfer fuel by drawing from one tank and returning to the other.

Bruce

Red90

All the options will work. All have pros and cons.

camo388

I had a quick check at a local truck repair shop and was told nylon air brake line is NOT the best choice for diesel fuel lines.  Diesel will eat the lining of the nylon air brake line. 
Parts person could not say how long air brake line would last but stressed it was not the best choice for diesel application. :(
If I didn't want to use rubber fuel hose that they recommend, stock and use, then I was advised to go to someone like Gregg's or Acklands and ask for nylon fuel line.
Just a warning to use what application requires. ;)

Red90

Nylon is completely and 100% compatible with diesel.  The advice you were given was not correct.  The stock fuel lines in the Land Rovers is nylon.

There is no lining in a nylon air brake tube.  It is 100% nylon.

Red90

http://www.greenlinehose.com/content/8.AutomotiveHose.pdf
Quotetube and cover made from light and heat stabilized Nylon 11

Nylon 11 has no reaction or deterioration from any types of vehicle fuels.

Red90