off the bonnet and to the back of the truck

Started by binch, April 25, 2015, 07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Well, It's decided.   As much as I like having the spare tire on the bonnet of the truck I've decided to move it onto a spare tire carrier at the back of the truck.    The bonnet was starting to show signs of fatigue and when I when was offroading you could see that the bonnet was flexing downward enough to bang against the bracket that holds the turbo's out pipe heat shield.  Not good.

So after a bit of chatting with Bert at the Sports Car Center (he's been boring my 110 for the winter) we've come up with a swing away tire carrier that works with my drop down style tail gate.    It's mounted to the trucks rear cross member with the majority of the weight going to the right hand corner, through a 1300lb trailer stub axle.    The other end of the gate latches on to the left land corner.    The bracket that holds the spare tire will easily take up to a 33" tire and is adjustable for depth of the tire.   Bert has some very good ideas to put down and we just finished the assembly today.    No to get it painted up.   It would be nice to have it galvanized but we can't see a way of doing it without affecting the bearings house.   Still.....a good paint job now and all I'll need in the future will be touch ups   ;D   

Cheers, Bill

B-Red

Metal Alloy Coating is what you need. It is Nicole depositing using submersion instead of electroplating. It works with moving parts. It uses nanotechnology to CREAT the nikle deposit. The finished product is ultra smooth. Big difference to Galvanizing.
Dave got to see the product and process with some finished samples.

Let me know if you are interested in trying it out. It will make your tire carrier super sharp.

binch

Can it be used on bearing surfaces without affecting the races?     I'd be interested in more info if this is indeed an option.
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

They use it on threaded pipes, screws and locks. They also have it on valves casings. I am sure bearing cases are applicable. My understanding the the thickness is in nano meters and is controlled by submersion time.

binch

Cheers, Bill

binch

It's all painted up now and a lock peg has been installed to secure the tire (for the honest people out there).    Now...just have to run out and grab a lock and put the tire on!

Next.....a galvanized fuel tank guard for the 110 by BVR (local boy).   Just waiting to get the steel gavanized.....

He's making ten of them....if anyone is interested ::)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on May 13, 2015, 08:27 AM
It's all painted up now and a lock peg has been installed to secure the tire (for the honest people out there).    Now...just have to run out and grab a lock and put the tire on!

Next.....a galvanized fuel tank guard for the 110 by BVR (local boy).   Just waiting to get the steel gavanized.....

He's making ten of them....if anyone is interested ::)

...yes, and its my tank guard he copied. So you're all welcome :)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

yes....a very big thank you Trevor!!!   Needless to say it will be a very nice addition to my 110.....especially since I redesigned my last fuel tank with a rather large river rock  ;D
Cheers, Bill

Red90

On a strange note my side tank has magically started leaking over the winter while mostly being parked.

B-Red

I am stoping by to check out this new guards. Got to cover Tigger's under belly before the AMT.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on May 13, 2015, 10:57 AM
On a strange note my side tank has magically started leaking over the winter while mostly being parked.

Any bits of hose found near the filler cap?
Cheers, Bill

Red90

It is not from the filler.  It is the tank itself.

binch

any new dings that may have stressed a weld maybe?
Cheers, Bill

Red90

No.  It just happened while sitting there parked in front of my house.  I have some serious dents on it and was always amazed it never leaked.  I probably should one day build a proper side tank....  Unfortunately too tied up with the other truck this summer I think.  I want to get a few things sorted and try to sell it.

headdamage

Which truck are you thinking of selling?