New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

They were supposed to have a worldwide live broadcast at 1 pm our time.....  It is now 1:47 and nothing but excuses.  I think they had to send it back to the factory for diagnostics.

Red90

A good video if you need help going to sleep.

Matt H

Perhaps they have decided to push back the release date by a couple of months...or years? Not like they haven't done it before.  ::)

Red90

Trevor

Very nice. Good to have options when it comes to buying a new rig.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Someone pointed out they have the same dimensions as an 88" almost exactly and weighs fair but less.

Matt H

Did they ever sell the Jimny here? I don't recall ever seeing one on Canadian roads. But I like price and the build criteria they are using.

Red90

Not the last generation. It was the same as the samurai before that.

ugly_90

There seems to be a few guys in Alberta passionate about the Suzuki Samari. Some seem to refit them with scrap VW Jetta diesel engines, making a poor-man's 90 out of it.

I drove a Mitsubishi/Dodge Raider in winter years ago, that was one of the closest vehicles to a 90. On the highway at least. Cold and slow.

I seem to think Suzuki dealerships closed here in Canada a few years ago. Maybe the most likely scenario to see the Jimny here is to have it rebadged by someone like Nissan or Dodge as a a scrambled rush answer to the upcoming Ford Bronco. Don't know what will come.

SpeedyJ

Here's some fresh fuel for the fire: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2020-land-rover-defender-spied-testing-public-roads

It's starting to sound like they might actually happen. I can't wait until they're off-lease.

ugly_90

I think I can wait well after the offlease here. "Iconic" for sure.

SpeedyJ

I know I'm an outlier here, but I think it has promise. I really like our LR3, so a more utilitarian version of that would be perfect for our use. I think that's the crux -  if you think of it as a more useful version of a modern Land Rover you'll be optimistic, if you looking for an ever so slightly updated version of a real defender or classic Land Rover you'll be disappointed.

I'm curious, what path would you have liked to see them take? More along the lines of what Jeep has done with the Wrangler (solid axles, removable top, body on frame....). If so, that's fair, I get that, I would have liked to have seen that as well, unfortunately that approach was taken off the table quite some time ago.

ugly_90

I suppose you'd have to define what a goal was for LR, and what a failure was.

To me, there was room for minor improvement and replacement on the defender design. If you liked the LR3, then perhaps you'd really like this new defender.

I seem to think they've gone as posh as expected here.

The  (competing?) Toyota 70-series is still in production, and with no plans of cancelling it. Modular body on frame, (aside from cab) spring front, leaf rear, solid axles. If this is LR's answer to that, i'd have to call that a fail. :(

It wouldn't have been that hard to integrate their competitors design, taking the best of the two vehicles and making something better still. It seems the fellows in sales decided not to do that.

Pandering to the masses once again it seems. Perhaps i'm wrong, but I envision this model mostly exploring potholes in Toronto or Montreal.