New master cylinder

Started by Gardenome, January 29, 2017, 02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

I'm replacing my master brake cylinder with a later version using an adapter plate.

But as you can probably see, the alignment of the lines is off. The smaller line was simple enough to carefully bend and line up with the hole.

The main line from the reservoir is larger and a lot more resistant to bending. Will I get away with more force or is there a better way?

Thanks,

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ugly_90

I wouldn't just go and bend it to fit with my hands. Assuming it would take just an angle bend somewhere to fit it, you would use a tubing bender, which is a small handtool, there was one at your radioshop when I was there, but it was for stainless, and perhaps a different gauge of instrument tubing.

I don't think this is the place to start though. Did you examine the shapes and lengths of the tubing for a Series 2A, which I assume this new master cylinder matches? Perhaps a different arrangement and path are taken there, and the short pipe is orderable. I also assume this length goes from the master cylinder to the PDWA valve?

If the OEM PDWA valve is inexpensive, or the OEM rebuild kit for it is reasonable, it should probably be replaced while you're in there, if the original looks older or suspect.

Shops like Greggs can manufacture custom tubing with various fittings. They may struggle with english brake lines though, and might be more help on a domestic rebuild.

As noted before, ensure you strictly follow your required brake fluid type. For the Defender it is DOT3 or DOT4, depending on model year.

For the Defender, it must be completely non-synthetic, as any synthetic will damage the brake system seals. Same in a clutch system.

It didn't seem possible for me to buy conventional brake fluid at CT or Walmart, as all they had shelved was full synthetic, or semi-synthetic.

I needed to go to Greggs and buy Kleen-Flo DOT4 conventional brake fluid.

Matt H

I would just cut off the right angle bend then refit the nut and flare the end at the correct length. Job done.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Gardenome

Couple of good suggestions. Thanks to you both.

Gardenome

Flaring kit suggestions? Trying to find a good balance between quality and price.

Gardenome

Another thing, double flaring? What sort of set up will need for my series one?

binch

bring the pipe by the shop.....they have a very nice flaring tool.   Ask Colin ahahahhahhahha
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Check out this handy identification chart.

http://www.fedhillusa.com/webnuts/common%20flares6.pdf

MAC make a nice set capeable of doing all types of flare but to be honest it's the user skill more than the tool brand that makes the difference between a good or bad flare. Just get a NAPA kit and some spare line and practise.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.