Drums out of round?

Started by Gardenome, August 26, 2016, 01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

I recently installed news drums and shoes on my rover. I recall seeing someone mention that they are not critically made and could be out of round even though they're brand new.

My shoes are at their lowest setting but still rub in places during a test rotation.

Can anyone recommend a place to get this checked and corrected? (If necessary)

Thanks,

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt H

Back in the day you "fit" the shoes to the drum with a special machine (I still have have one) that put a taper on the leading/trailing edge and could also grind out the centre. That practice was abandoned some years ago as the dust caused from such operations was killing people. So don't try to replicate this at home with an angle grinder.

First thing I would do is check your new drums for out of round, taper and warping.
Check the brake shoes are in correctly and the frictional material is glued/riveted in the correct location (this happens more than you might think).
Check the brake hard wear is in good order and not bent or damaged.
Check the backing plate and hub for true.

Also check the old drum for out of round etc. As that can indicate problems that were present prior to the new parts being fitted.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Rambler

Hi Ian
Having fitted new brake hardware as part of my rebuild my drums are giving me the same issue, even with the brakes adjusted fully off.  Having read about this on the series2 forum, it looks like running the vehicle carefully for a bit will help to run down the high spots on the drum.  The key is to not let things overheat though.  Another option is to take your new drums to a shop and have them turned.  Hope this helps, once mine is road ready Ill likely try the first option.
Cheers
Ian
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Gardenome

Good to know, thanks.

Won't most of the wear occur on the pads though?

Red90

When I had a similar problem, I found it was the shoes. It does not make sense but the drums were true. Changing to new OEM shoes got rid of the pulsating brakes.

If you want to get the drums turned, plan to bring a spare hub with you. Most brake drum machines do not have a collet large enough for a Land Rover drum.

Gardenome

Good to know, thanks.