TDI Intercoolers, check 'em

Started by Trevor, August 04, 2016, 11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

While I was replacing my exhaust manifold gasket on the Defender I also pulled the intercooler in order to give it a good flushing/cleaning. However, I noticed right away that about 20% --> 25% of the fins were bent/damaged. Also, when I brushed my finger across certain areas the cooling fins would simply partially flake off. This was the original intercooler.

I decided to replace it with a new LR original.

The difference was quite surprising. I'm seeing the pyrometer running 10% cooler at peak. It used to run at 1000 under normal hwy speeds, and hit around 1100 if really pulling. Now maxes at 1000 and runs about 870 -- 900 normally.  It's also making better power...not a huge boost mind you, but a small amount, enough to be noticeable.

It's not a part I thought much about insofar as regular inspections are concerned. But based on the above, I thought it a good note to others...if you haven't had a look at your intercooler recently, it might be worth while to do so.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Cheers, Bill

VA7ZD

This is good to know since I am in the throws of rebuilding a 300TDI for my 110.
Thanks for sharing
Regards
Ian