Defender 110 u-joints: Spicer #

Started by Trevor, July 25, 2016, 04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I'm going to replace the propshaft u-joints on my Defender 110. I've got the Land Rover part # TVC100010 for them, however I'm having a tough time finding out what that translates to for a Spicer part number. Anyone happen to know? Looks like a 1340, but not 100% sure.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

You are best to get the GKN ones from Bill. Spicer does not do that size any more. It is only used on Land Rovers so there is no North American demand.  IME, the GKN non greaseable joints last the longest.

Red90

For the full confusion.

The Dana corp part number is 5-4X (1300 series), http://www2.dana.com/Expert/wc.dll?hvtss~dedsec~4~5-4X~  What was once "Spicer" is now a brand within Dana.

When you buy the GKN units in the UK, they may come in a "Harder Spicer" box.   GKN owns the "Hardy Spicer" brand, but this is a separate company from "Spicer".

You do need to be a bit careful as LR used the slightly larger 1310 sized joint, http://www2.dana.com/Expert/wc.dll?hvtss~dedsec~4~5-1310X~ during much of the Series run and they can be found in some Defenders...  This is the most common u-joint in North America.  To tell what you have...  The distance across the bearing caps is a bit under 3" for the 1300 and a bit under 3-1/4" for the 1310.

Trevor

Ok, that works too. I'll place an order through Bill and get some of the GKN's in. Since mine is a '98 I'd imagine it's pretty far removed from the 1310 run following the Series. I might just pull one first and measure it to be safe...not like it takes a long time.

Thanks for the info John!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

You should be able to measure well enough on the truck.  Say 3-1/4" across the outside of the ears for the smaller one and 3-1/2" for the larger.