LR3 front prop shaft replacement.

Started by Matt H, July 15, 2016, 07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

Well another repair is well under way on our 2006 LR3. This time it's the front prop shaft that needs attention. 

As with many other jobs on the LR3 it's a total pain in the arse. Really, it's stupidly awkward.

AutoCadd=worst invention EVER! Now cars can be designed entirely on computers component fitment can be insanely close.

Anyway, remove skid plates. Once you have supported the transfer case, removed the transfer case crossmember (cutting off or shearing the 15mm bolts with no clearance to fit much more than a spanner). You may need to loosen the gas tank for access, I did.  Next it's the entire exhaust system that gets removed or at least dropped from its hangers and pulled down as far as you dare without cracking the headers. Now you will need a E10 socket to unbolt the prop shaft and install the new unit ($750). It's a interference fit at the transfer case and front diff so it must be torqued down evenly using the shaft bolts that are barely long enough for the task. Then put your Land Rover back together.

This takes a loooooong time. Much swearing and frustration ensued during the corse of the repair.

Just the other month I swapped a front prop shaft on a Disco 1.....8 bolts....took 15 min.

Not all innovation is progress.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

But you still love the truck right....... ???
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

They're great rigs....up until you have to work on them.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

As a do-er of all things, it's great. Fast, warm, quiet, comfortable, large enough to haul whatever you need to move but with compact outer dimensions. It performs well enough off road for something that spends 85-90% of it's time on a road and is as reliable as anything I've ever experienced.

But it is a complete son-of-a-bitch to work on in your driveway. Truly, I do not exaggerate.

Actually Bill we are getting ready to sell the old girl. The mileage is getting up there (318,000 km) and although I've kept up with the maintenance and repairs it is my wife's vehicle and the time has come for us to retire it from front line service while it is still in good condition. We will be looking for a LR4 as a replacement for the above positive reasons....and a newer LR4 for the above negative reasons.

Myself, I will always prefer the older Land Rovers just because I like old rusty crap but as a caveat I like to keep at least one modern vehicle that's always ready to handle the family truckster duties without spending the preceding week underneath it fixing stuff. Also, if I forced my wife to drive the same type of junk I like all the time I probably wouldn't still be married!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Cheers, Bill