Trail carnage

Started by Trevor, May 10, 2016, 12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Finally managed to blow apart some drivetrain parts down in Moab. Right at the tail end of Hell's Revenge, on the last ledge-climb, I managed to snap my right-rear axle. Pretty sure I blew apart the Detroit as well, but have ripped it apart yet to be sure.

I got it of the trail without issued and then trailered it back to my cabin. Pulled the axles and 3rd member last night and gave Bill Davis a call at GBR...fortunately he had a set of chrome moly axles in stock and a new Detroit. I'm in Salt Lake now picking everything up and putting the 3rd member back together.

Should be back in Moab by dinner time, slap everything back together, then ready for the trails again tomorrow. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Trevor

Here's a pic of the damage
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

I forgot how much I don't really like the D2 hub/axle setup. That big stub nut format on the rears is a pain to deal with. It'd be a real sob to get off in the field.

Defender/D1/RRC format is much better
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Unit bearings.  Not a leap forward in field serviceability.

Running a Detroit with stock axles or did you actually break chrome-moly?

B-Red

Looks like you are having fun Trevor. How much of an incline where you on to twist the half shaft that badly?
Hells Revenge stricks again.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on May 10, 2016, 02:35 PM
Unit bearings.  Not a leap forward in field serviceability.

Running a Detroit with stock axles or did you actually break chrome-moly?

No way I'd run a Detroit with rover axles....they would have been tinder long ago.

Ashcroft chrome moly. Oddly, I wasn't hammering on it at all when she let go. Got a grip on a ledge and she let go. Granted, it was not an insignificant climb by any means, but nothing out of the ordinary. Might have been the Detroit letting go too that caused the break.
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Might have to go 300M. :O

Do you need to do anything to stop the traction control from possibly fighting the Detroit?

Trevor

I hadn't really thought of the TC working against the Detroit. That could be an issue. I think the only thing I could possibly do to disable the TC is pop the fuse or unplug the ABS sensors on the rear axle.

I was thinking about 300m, there's a good manufacturer out of Australia if I recall correctly. But now that I've had this impromptu replacement I'll probably wait a little while.
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

Well I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. Detroit lockers do tend to be hard on axle shafts.  Nice you were able to get parts so fast. You must have those guys on speed dial when your out there. Looks from the picture the shaft twisted off more than sheared? 

Glad to see you got it all sorted.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

oh, and forgot top mention. She's all back together now and ready for the trail tomorrow.
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Did you manage to do in the locker too, or did it survive?

I wonder If this break/twist had be working over time to this result ???

Did it go out with a loud bang?

Is it worth pegging your diff?

Enquiring minds want to know ahahahhahha....Nobody expects the Spanish Inquistion!!!
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Ashcroft does a version of their shafts in 300M.

Pegging is to protect the ring and pinion.

Trevor

Quote from: binch on May 11, 2016, 02:18 AM
Did you manage to do in the locker too, or did it survive?

I wonder If this break/twist had be working over time to this result ???

Did it go out with a loud bang?

Is it worth pegging your diff?

Enquiring minds want to know ahahahhahha....Nobody expects the Spanish Inquistion!!!

Master Inquisitor, I will answer as best I can!

I'm pretty sure the Detroit is toast....but I've got to get inside it to be sure. I think there is a good chance this was the Detroit letting go under load. Could have also been a weak point had developed over time on the shaft and it finally let go....it has certainly been "stressed" its fair share.

It did let out a good bang when it broke loose.

Diff pegging is something I will likely due soon. As John noted, that helps the crown/pinion gears but with the loads I put on my diffs, it would be a worthwhile addition.
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

If you switch to a selectable locker your shafts won't be taking a beating 24/7.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on May 11, 2016, 10:16 AMIf you switch to a selectable locker your shafts won't be taking a beating 24/7.

I personally don't think that is the case.  There is very little force needed to unlock a Detroit when it is in good shape.  On the road, there is no binding up of the axles.  Where Trevor is stressing it, he needs the diff locked.  I've run one for the last ten years and you would not know it is there. The biggest downside is the "small" Detroits used in a Rover diff get damaged when a shaft breaks.

Trevor is breaking ground.  I would be surprised if anyone else has broken an RCV 4340 shaft on 32s.  I've only heard of it happening with race guys on big tires.  How old are the shafts?  Ashcroft does have a 5 year warranty against breakage.  I'm sure they would credit the cost to upgrade to 300M.

Is the R&P stock?  The ones available now are a lot better designed than what you could get a few years back.