Ghost falls trip CANCEL. Will move date to after Christmas.

Started by Chris, November 29, 2023, 06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Good day fellow Land Rover owners!!
Saturday December 16th I am looking at making a run out to Ghost falls, if you're not familiar with the place, its a trail about 30 minutes NW of Cochrane. its usually stock friendly, however if we end up with a good gust a snow it can be a little more challenging. Which just means more fun  ;D ;D
Id like to get a number on how many would like to attend, I was thinking I will load up a bunch of fire wood and we can have a fire, if a few of us bring some kettles we can make some coffee/tea, I have a couple of burners so it wouldn't take much to heat up some water. (Ill organize this once I have a number of people coming)
The plan. Meet at Cochrane Tim Hortons/Petrocanada @ 930AM (23 heartland Blvd #1105 Cochrane) Be on the road by 10am, trail head and Air down @ 10:30. Moving on the trail @ 11AM. depending on conditions ETC. It will likely take 1 to 1.5 hrs to hit the frozen falls.

have recovery points on your vehicle, if you have tire chains, bring them, but we likely will not require them, so if you don't own any, do not worry. There will be a couple of short water crossings, Iv never seen them deep before, their usually less then a foot deep. coming up the other side of the crossings is usually where it can be difficult as the water being brought up can ice. though I have never not been able to make it up before, and we have a pretty mild winter thus far.

This is a weather dependent event, if the high for the day is going to be colder then -15, I think its best we postpone into the new year, I have gone when its below -20 and have had to deal with multiple vehicles with frozen brakes after water crossings, not a fun time lol

drop a comment if you would like to come, you're more then welcome to invite your friends, even if they drive non Land Rovers  :o ;)

binch

Sounds like fun Chris.....I'll put my name down for now....but still in UK at this time.   New snow here and it's 'beginning to look a lot like christmas....."

See you at the edmonton gathering Dec 6th  ;)
Cheers, Bill

Damian

Hey Chris,

Damian here, new to the forum.  Would love to join the group for this event.  I've been to the falls many times in winter, and have a '22 Defender, with full recovery points, winch and chains.  Please add me to the list (if there is a list?).  I may bring another Defender with me also.  Looking forward to meeting the group.

For interest here's a few photos from my last few trips to the GBU (Ghost Falls) and Ghost Valley in my LR4 and Defender: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TsFkuhHLx473buBz9

Damian

Chris

Quote from: binch on November 30, 2023, 06:05 AM
Sounds like fun Chris.....I'll put my name down for now....but still in UK at this time.   New snow here and it's 'beginning to look a lot like christmas....."

See you at the edmonton gathering Dec 6th  ;)

sounds good Bill!! we are not looking like Christmas here at all, bring a little snow when you come home!! see you December 6th!

Chris

Quote from: Damian on November 30, 2023, 08:52 AM
Hey Chris,

Damian here, new to the forum.  Would love to join the group for this event.  I've been to the falls many times in winter, and have a '22 Defender, with fully recovery points, winch and chains.  Please add me to the list (if there is a lis?).  I may bring another Defender with me also.  Looking forward to meeting the group.

For interest here's a few photos from my last few trips to the GBU (Ghost Falls) and Ghost Valley in my LR4 and Defender: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TsFkuhHLx473buBz9

Damian

sounds Great Damian, I will add you to the list, Ill post up some numbers as they come up, I am looking forward to seeing some modern Land Rovers out there!!
Great set of photos from GBU falls! I hope we have some of that snow come Dec 16th lol

JohnnyO

Hi Chris: right on, count me in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris

So after chatting with a few people looks like we would only have 2 or 3 of us going, I realize it's pretty close to christmas and short notice. So I'm going to move the date to after Christmas into January. I'll post a date soon.
I'm wondering if there would be more interest in Ghost falls or Ruby falls. Typically Ruby falls is more of a challenge?
Let me know which you would be interested in

Damian

That's too bad!  Was looking forward to this one.  I'm still interested though if anyone else is!

As for a trip in January that might work also.  Ruby is quite technical in the summer, have done it a few times, in my Defender as well as ATVs in the summer, but never in Winter.  The 3 hour drive to the trailhead is also a challenge.  Ruby is my vote (by a slim margin), although I also like Ghost Falls, as it's much easier and convenient for a day trip.

D

binch

I'm good with either one.   Ruby is closer to me by a long shot though.    I need to install a pair of spacers on my rear stub axles, once I have them in my grubby hands :-)    Not sure when they'll be ready but I'll let you know.

On a side note......I wonder what Brule lake is like right now????

cheers, Bill
Cheers, Bill

Chris

Never tried making it into Brule lake in the winter time before 🤔🤔

binch

I don't know what the snow back is like in there this year.   But I'm suspecting there won't be much there.   There are quite a few trails in that area and the sand dunes down to the beach area should be pretty dry as well.    The Athatbasca river will be at low water this time of year as well.    You have the option of motelling it or camping in that area as well.    The northern route in on the old rail bed may offer some good access down to the beach, with the least amount of deep snow (for the most part).    The southern route down to the beach area has a very deep track (trough) you have to drive down.   This could prove tricky if it's full of snow (4 to 6 feet deep)....that is if there is any....

Don't know if you need a back country pass for this area or not.    What about Ruby and the Ghost?
Cheers, Bill

Chris

if youre camping youll need one of those back country passes for both Ghost and Ruby area, if youre just using it has a day use place, then you won't need a pass.