Swivel Arm Jerry Can and tire holder

Started by B-Red, May 30, 2016, 03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

I saw this setup on Facebook today. The swivel arm is attached to the bumper. The Jerry cans are attached to the swivel arm.  The challenge we have with Discovery trucks is the thirst for gasoline on the trails. During the MOAB trip, I was filling around 1/3 to half a tank daily. Diesel Defenders file dup after one week!!

The problem with the spare jerry cans is back injury and fire hazard.  You can't place them inside the cabin for safety reasons. Placing them on the roof makes it difficult to move down, at 25 ltd capacity, high wind resistance and possible back injury.

This set up addresses these issues. However, Trevor pointed out in a previous email, that they may get hung up on the ledges if you re rock crawling in the Moab for example. The overloading option works alright.

I am looking at fabricating this with a Britpart bumper that they make for Discovery trucks.  Anybody interested in weighing in on this?

Matt H

Anything that you need to move out the of way first in order to open the rear door gets to be a massive PITA, especially in a Disco 1/2 because there is no separate tailgate/lift gate.

If you want to avoid spills, backache ,safety and loading problems then I've seen race fuel cells used to great effect in the load at area of 4x4's that don't have the space for a aux fuel tank underneath.

They can be permanently mounted with a dual tank arrangement or temporarily secured with a transfer pump to fill the main tank. A friend of mine had a large, flat fuel cell in the back of his 454cu" powered full sized 78 Blazer. It kept the fuel low down to help with the COG and secure from spillage from roll overs etc.

My 2c

No Road Except For Land-Rover.