Steyr HLVW, 6x6.

Started by ugly_90, March 22, 2016, 06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

It seems like many HLVW have sold through crown assets in Ontario and Quebec last year. Not selling for very much, between $ 3000-7000.

They are a much better built truck than most other trucks in the army.

Again, it seems the " Bronto " trucks at Shell Albian's mine are much newer, and will be severely pounded when surplused. Perhaps a scrap HL could be parted with a Bronto.

There were many HL recovery trucks. Those would be handy, and perhaps the last to be surplused.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=203024&lcn=348749&lct=L&srchtype=&so=ASC&sf=ferm-clos&lci=&str=11&ltnf=1

camo388

Looks like a vehicle that Jade Fever guys could use.  6X6 and decent pay load, they would be able to take just about everything in to the mining site in one trip. ;D

ugly_90

Yes. It would be a better choice than the Bedford. You could tow a dozer or excavator with the HL. Looks like a few didn't receive bids. Very good value, less money than some used quads or motorcycles. When the HL's go for life extension, it is thorough.

Often the trucks go to a Canadian Federal Prison, with a cost of like $50K for the rebuild from DND to Corrections. The queen paying the queen.

I've seen a few of these rebuilds on the base. Fresh paint everywhere, new hoses, new lines, you couldn't tell that it wasn't a new truck.

binch

I'd hate to see what the operating and repair costs would be on a thing like that hahahahhahahahahha
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

I don't know how the operating costs of  a rebuilt Steyr would compare to a used 10 ton Volvo, Ford,  or Iveco truck. Comparing Apples with Apples...

One would need to have a business, farm, or mining use for such a heavy truck. Offroad water hauling, delivering construction parts to your offgrid cabin, an RV conversion, all are potential uses.

The towing on the 10 ton is only 15 tons, perhaps much like the Bedford. The 16 ton HLVW wrecker will pull more.

in all, it's a high-quality truck for a low price. If it was needed, buying a good condition rebuilt truck, and a parts unit wreck in the same sale, would be prudent.

Getting it registered at all is a risk, and you'd need to be extra careful there.

ugly_90

With four trucks, we could start two businesses.

" Emad's Offroad Water Hauling ", and
" Bill's Offroad Towing and Recovery ".

Bill, I think I might have found your first customer, he's in the club.

hehe.

binch

I know people used to buy the old duce and a halfs to use on woodlots for ongoing thinning and logging.   The made their own winch boom set up and pulled saw or peeler logs out of the bush, or filled the back with firewood.     They seem to start disappearing in the mid 80's but you still see the odd one kickin around on the farms.
Cheers, Bill