Thoughts after 40,000 km in my P38

Started by RWAYOUT, May 16, 2018, 03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWAYOUT

I figure I would write a small piece on life with my first Land Rover, and not the most liked member of the Rover family by many ... my 2001 P38 Range Rover HSE.
I have always loved this era of Rover... and when one came up cheap , I grabbed it. It had a pretty easy life , and came with 10 years of maintanace records. So I figured .. what the hey. Ill grab it.
It did need some stuff, so I did new tires , shocks , blend motors , steering stabilizer , and all new fluids front to back, and remapped the ecu.
And now as 260,000 km... it has not given me one problem. none. It starts in -40 with no complaints. I jumped in it and drove to Vancouver Island in March for work and it didnt even cough. The ride is sublime.
Its not without its cons... Its not the most roomy thing going, it drinks oil , and leaks it too. Power is .... well it will get you there.
But I love it . And coming from the Toyota world.. that is saying a lot.
I was considering turning it into a dedicated trail truck, but have decided to get a LR3 or LR4 and build that.... have not yet decided. The P38 is pretty limited in the accessory support area. And the LR3/4 has WAYYYYYY more support.
So I will soon have a second Land Rover to add to the family. And looking back , that Landcruiser is looking fainter and fainter  :)
2001 Range Rover HSE 4.6
EAS works !

SpeedyJ

You'll like the LR3. We wen't from a 2000 LX470 (100 Series Land Cruiser) to a 2009 LR3. As much as I liked the LX470, the LR3 has way more power, two more gears in the transmission, 30% better fuel economy, and a fantastic stereo (with very little road noise).

The Land Cruiser was very capable off road (obviously), but the LR3 is just so composed in the rough. No drama, just steady forward motion.

-Jeff

Chad M

You're not alone! 

I love driving my P38 @ 274k kms. 

The odo climbs by almost 80 kms almost every day...and never skips a beat.

Matt H

I never really liked them because I like the Classic Rangies so much and they are so different.
I still think the styling is a bit iffy but then came the Freelander and all the rest of the Diet Coke Land Rovers and suddenly they are looking better all the time.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Chad M

Hey Matt.  I felt the same way about the P38 until I actually crawled under one... built like a tank (about the same mpgs too).