Moab 2016

Started by Trevor, April 09, 2015, 10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

• Moab 2016

Trevor

This is a placeholder for Moab in 2016, these dates are not firm.

If there is interest I will lead another run down to Moab in September of 2016. Its good to start planning and booking rooms well in advance, so I will send an email out to the group in August or September to see if there is any interest. I wanted to get this on the calendar early so folks could have a bit of time to think about it before the invite goes out.

Whether or not we try to link up with the Land Rover National Rally again can be sorted out at that time. There's pro's and cons either way.   
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Put me in as a "maybe" Trevor. I'd love to go back and take the missus with me. Need to come with a plan for the pesky kids though. They are in school in September.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

oh how you tease...... >:(

I'm going to have to think about this one....it is REALLY tempting I'll tell you that!!!!     But please keep me in the loop for now.   That was such a great trip too!!!     And the next one may include the overnighter in the outback....tres kool!
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on April 10, 2015, 03:02 PM
oh how you tease...... >:(

I'm going to have to think about this one....it is REALLY tempting I'll tell you that!!!!     But please keep me in the loop for now.   That was such a great trip too!!!     And the next one may include the overnighter in the outback....tres kool!

Yessir, I would include an overnight of camping on this one if there is interest.

I did that a year or two ago and it was great. I know of an absolutely fantastic spot to camp that is out of the way. We would run the Lockheart Basin trail which is a full day trail, and camp overnight near the end of it. The trail comes out close to Needles District of Canyonlands National Park, which has a great trail on it called Elephant Hill. So we run that the next day then head back to Moab when we're done. Makes for a really fun little outing, and some nice desert camping mixed in.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

B-Red

I enjoyed the last one and would love to do this one. By that time, I will be free. Kids done schools and am gearing for a nice long long walk about. This trip would be a good start.

binch

Now that's sounds like a good one Trevor.   Night sky in the desert, no sound but the crackle of the fire and coyotes.....that would be a great trip indeed ;)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Time to reinvigorate this event.

Can I see a show of hands for those interested in Moab, 2016. The trip dates are not set in stone yet, however here is a rough outline:

Trip Length: 10 - 14 days total

Dates: Late Sept/Early Oct

Accommodations: We will likely stay at Morris' Last Resort again. Will depend upon headcount. Everyone will be responsible for reserving their own accommodation once we decide the where/when bit.

Trails: We will run a range of them. Again, it will largely depend upon who is coming, but we will for sure do some strictly scenic trails all the way up to some of the harder trails, but with bypasses available (Hell's Revenge is a good example). If there is interest, we can also try some of the more difficult trails should folks want a bit more of a challenge.

Camping: If we have the time I would like to run the Lockhart Basin/Elephant Hill combo and do an overnight camp. I know of a great spot to camp in the desert on Lockhart Basin. Makes for a really fun couple of days.

Land Rover National Rally: I am not planning on linking up with the LRNR this time. If it happens out of coincidence we can decide to join in, or not.

I will form an email list once we get a shortlist of people assembled. I would like to keep the bulk planning related milestones in this thread so it is easy for folks to find, but there will invariably be stuff that is better handled via email.
― George Orwell, 1984

lovejugs

as always i am interested need to do some kid planning but it would be nice to make the trip this time.
Dave

B-Red

I am still in. I like the camping idea too. The resort was great last time so nice to be in it again. Keep us posted Trevor.
Cheers

binch

Yup, I'm interested  ;)
Cheers, Bill

jeffrey

I would be up for the trip again Trevor, it also gives me an opportunity to do some more fishing on the Yellowstone river and in Montana

Trevor

I've had a few questions in email that I thought warranted a post here, as more are likely wondering the same thing.

Trip duration: -- I have 10 - 14 days here, which includes driving. I expect to be in Moab for 10 days total, with 2 days driving on either end. However, that does not mean you have to be there for the entire time. Folks can come and go as it fits their schedules.

Drive time to Moab: -- its about a 22 hour drive if you are going the speed limit (75 mph average), depending upon the traffic through Salt Lake City. I typically do it over 2 days, but you can stretch it to 3 if you like, or do it in one day too (I've done that several times as well). All depends on what you prefer. Starting the reservations on the Sunday is intentional as it allows an easy 3 day run down for folks leaving Friday after work, if that is what they prefer. And it takes you through Salt Lake on the Sunday, which is much better for traffic.
― George Orwell, 1984

B-Red

It really helps if you have a vehicle GPS. Road signs and exits can be very confusing.
As well, hotel locations for night stops are better planned in advance just that you don't end up sleeping in the oldest part of town in the only creepy motel. The five star hotels where two exits after that.

Trevor

I've got the list started for those interested in this trip. I'll get an email out to the potential participants shortly to start nailing down dates. Once we get those confirmed I will post them here.
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

Our dates are set:

Sept 25 --> Oct 4

We have 4 vehicles attending this year:

-- Kerwin and family
-- Norm and Jonathan
-- Jeffrey
-- Trevor

We are booked at Morris' Last Resort again.
― George Orwell, 1984