Sask camping and Cypress Hills

Started by Pioneer, April 09, 2016, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Pioneer

May Long Weekend camping and off road day trip at Cypress Hills Park.

Matt H

Not enough interest in the club for a group area so we just try to book sites close to one another and close to the cabins for those that choose to stay there rather than camp. We will be in the "Rainbow" campsite again this year.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Pioneer

B-Red

I checked the online reservation site. Cypress hills camp sites open next Saturday. I will check the Rainbow site.

Pioneer

I don't know if anyone else is going but I should be in R27 at the Rainbow camp ground if all goes well.

Matt H

I will try to book R28 tomorrow and Yoda was talking about site R30.

Matt H

I'm all booked for site R28. Yoda is booking R30. Lots of other sites close by if anyone is interested? Looks like it will be really nice weather this year.

binch

Quote from: Matt H on April 21, 2016, 09:33 PM
I'm all booked for site R28. Yoda is booking R30. Lots of other sites close by if anyone is interested? Looks like it will be really nice weather this year.

I vaguely remember meeting your family one year.....seem to have left a bit of an impression with them that year!    But what a GREAT weekend that was  ;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

A big Grizzly Adams looking chap wearing Shorts and Sandals in two foot of snow does tend recommend itself to memory.

My Dad still talks about meeting a "real" Canadian.

Rambler

I've booked for R24  8)  See you next month!
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Matt H

May Long is this coming weekend. Looking forward to catching up with old friends and making some new ones.
This is a family event with children of all ages more than welcome. Anyone else interested in coming down for the weekend or even just joining in for the day can either get in touch with me or just show up in the Sask, Cypress Hills "Rainbow" campground before 10:00 am. If you have trouble finding our group look for Yoda's 101....it's hard to miss.

For the most part mornings are relaxed and the schedule for the day (such as it is) is discussed the evening before. Late morning through mid afternoon is traditionally when we do our trails and evenings are spent socializing by the fire and toasting marshmallows etc.

There will be some light off-road trips organized for Saturday and Sunday usually lasting 3-5 hours depending on participants wishes (or more accurately, what the wife and kids let you get away with) and the likelihood of damage to your vehicle is very low. Suitable for any Land Rover.

As ever it's prudent to have recovery gear and spare fluids etc available but there is no need to come prepared for the Camel Trophy. The Town of Maple Creek is not far away and has a farm/parts store. There is a gas station right in the Cypress Hills campground area and 'the usual suspects' will have enough gear and tools to get you patched up and back to camp if you have any problems.

Weather Conditions in the Cypress Hills area can be a real crap shoot. We've had 3' of snow, a bone dry dust bowl, heavy rain, freezing temperatures and hot sun. The entire park is at a pretty high elevation compared to the surrounding area so it can have some unique weather. Some light rain has been forecast in the area for Friday and Saturday so be prepared for a little mud. Other than that temperatures look to be quite decent so I'm looking forward to a really pleasant weekend.

See you out there,
Matt.

binch

so....how'd the weekend go????   I hear there was mud to play in this year :D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Rain. Lots of rain. Lots of mud on the Gap road and lots of wood burned on the campfire. Yoda and I camped (in trailers) and Dave stayed in the cabins so we were able to stay warm and dry overnight so it wasn't that bad.

Good times had by all.