Crowsnest Pass 2016.

Started by Matt H, March 04, 2016, 08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

binch

Cheers, Bill

B-Red

Those are great pictures. Showing the terrain that we will play in. I am now really excited. It's like MOAB and AMT in one package.
Got to figure which to take..B-Red or Tigger

Matt H

Yes, so many trails to explore. Good memories. My old Range Rover looks almost new in those pictures. I wheeled almost bone stock with Yokohama AT tyres for years.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Matt H

Getting ready for the Crowsnest trip. GPS way points all programmed into my Garmin (thanks to Red90) and now I'm getting the Mighty Range Rover and Sankey ready for the off. Thinking of taking my chainsaw, some trials were quite seriously overgrown with lots of deadfall the last time I was there.

I wonder if there is a fire ban on right now?

Really looking forward to this one. The trails have fantastic views of the Mountains and our camping spot is beautiful. If you're thinking of attending it's a really worthwhile area to explore. 

binch

Looks like there is a "fire advisory" down that area but I'm not exactly sure what that means....No fires, fires with care, limited fires.....?????

http://beta.albertafirebans.ca/

On a side note......Do you want me to send down you two soft shacles with Dave?!?!?!  8)

Also...would you like to use the SPOT emergency beacon for the weekend?

Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on July 26, 2016, 01:18 AMLooks like there is a "fire advisory" down that area but I'm not exactly sure what that means....No fires, fires with care, limited fires.....?????

There is an advisory to the east of where they are going.  It basically means nothing.  https://www.albertafirebans.ca/AboutAlbertaFireBans.aspx
QuoteFire Advisory â€" Generally, this level is meant to inform that there is a high fire danger and that there may be certain types of restrictions on burning. It may be used as a ”warning” that a more restrictive fire ban may be coming if the situation does not improve. You may also see a fire advisory for short-term concerns like major wind events.

In any case, Matt is planning on camping in BC at the "Polesoptional on the Creek" Campground.  So, look here: http://www.bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/DisplayBan.asp?ID=469#OpenFireBans  No bans on campfires currently.

Matt H

If I hide Yoda's axe to avoid 'towering inferno' I'm sure we will be ok.

Love that photo. Worlds most sketchy tent anyone?

binch

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Good one John!!!    I remember that well.....forgot my tent poles I did...a. ::)
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

There is a Bear activity advisory in Kanaskis area due to the good berry crops. Be on the lookout.
Abdurrahim and I are driving down on Saturday morning. Targeting Coleman between 12pm and 2pm. We will be tenting.
See you fellows then.
Cheers Emad

binch

Keep a clean camp and you won't have any trouble with bears  ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Yoda and I will be setting out from Medicine Hat tomorrow morning. Dave is coming out of Radium and Emad out of Edmonton Saturday morning as well so we should all arrive around the same time.

If anyone else wants to tag along for a few days just show up at the campsite and we will make room. IIRC there is little to no cell coverage in the area. Remember this is rough camping with no facilities at all and you will need to pack in/out everything you need to live for the duration of your stay. There are small towns within a 30-45 min drive so it will be possible to resupply if needed.

Nice weather is forecast for the week so it should be a great trip.

See you out there.

B-Red

I am grounded :-(
Can't make the trip URRRRR

Matt H

B-Red

Work. Worked till 8:30 pm on Thursday and till 6 on Friday. Still did not get 50% done what needed to be done. Have to go back in on the weekend to catch up. Not enough hours in a 24 hr days I tell you.

Matt H

Well we are all back from another great trip out to the Crowsnest Pass area. Lots of trails explored. Hiked out to the abandoned town of Lille. Visited the Plane Crash and takes some nice trail in the stunning scenery of the Rockies.

No breakdowns or damage (other than Pine striping) to report and everyone had a really relaxing time.