Crowsnest Pass 2016.

Started by Matt H, March 04, 2016, 08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Matt H

I'm heading up the Whipsaw trail expedition that will take place the first week of August 2016 with possible inclusion of the "jeep trail" also.

These are easy to mild, multi day, scenic trials with self sufficient camping on the trail required. Suitable for all Land Rovers.

Watch this space for details.

Moderator edit July 18...
Quote from: Matt H on July 14, 2016, 10:19 AM
So I'm making an executive decision to move the trip location to the Crowsnest Pass/Beaver mines area. It's really nice there with lots of trials to explore like the racehorse pass. This will allow more folks to participate for the weekend only if they wish. John and I were out there several years ago.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

I would rate the Whipsaw as easy to moderate and the Jeep Trail as moderate.  Not much for overgrowth or such, but some technical sections.  I've attached GPS tracks for both from when we did them in 2012.  They can be both done in single long days (each), but two days each makes a lot more sense, IMO.  Don't plan to do the Whipsaw on the long weekend, as the campsites will be packed with people...

Here is a link to the trip report from 2012.  We did some other stuff as well.  Lot of options to make a long or short trip as desired.  http://www.landroverscene.com/forum/index.php/topic,4508.0.html

Matt H

Brilliant. Thanks for the info John.

As soon as we have a head count of interested parties I can arrange a rendezvous area and finalize timing.

Meanwhile I will research the trails etc.

B-Red

Great info Jon. Thanks.
Matt, you can mark me in. One Disco 2.

Red90

Keith D. told me he was interested in this one.

Matt H

So this event is now set for the first week in August.

Any interested participants may post up here as this will be main source for information regarding the trip. I'm planning on doing the two trails (whipsaw and jeep trail) at a leisurely pace, with plenty of time for sightseeing.

binch

That'll be a great trip Mat!!!!   Looking forward to hearing all about it ;)
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

I was searching the web for trail start. I see Princeton as one start point. What is the Jeep Trail? I can't locate it. Any GPS routes would be helpful.
How many km is the total route ( for fuel estimates)

Last trip pictures looked great. I don't see dead fall. So, no chainsaws. As for fishing, I think I am ready. I have already got few trouts last month. Getting good at it.

Red90

Quote from: B-Red on July 03, 2016, 04:30 PM
I was searching the web for trail start. I see Princeton as one start point. What is the Jeep Trail? I can't locate it. Any GPS routes would be helpful.
How many km is the total route ( for fuel estimates)

Last trip pictures looked great. I don't see dead fall. So, no chainsaws. As for fishing, I think I am ready. I have already got few trouts last month. Getting good at it.

The GPS tracks are attached to my post above.

Unfortunately, I will need to bail on this one.  An emergency trip ate up too much of my vacation time.  :'(

binch

John, Can you please remind me where the steep rocky bit was (I think where you had the flat on the slope)?   Was that the jeep trail?
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on July 04, 2016, 03:47 AM
John, Can you please remind me where the steep rocky bit was (I think where you had the flat on the slope)?   Was that the jeep trail?

I tore a sidewall on the Whipsaw.  My fault, not the trail's...  I think it was on Falcon hill, or close by, at least.

Red90

I'm going to upload the GPS file again inside a ZIP file.  Some browsers do not like downloading GPX files directly and may be causing some problems.

Red90

Here is Dave Blair's online trail log for the Jeep Trail on the Hunter Range: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1237600

Matt H

Rough itinerary for the trip will be to camp at a regular campground around the Enderby area Sunday night.
Do the Jeep trail Monday, stay at the same campground Monday evening.
Travel to the Princeton area Tuesday and camp at a campground that evening.
Wednesday and Thursday we do the Whipsaw trail camping rough overnight on the trail.
Thursday evening we camp at the same campground as Tuesday.   
Friday, head home.

Long way to travel so I've given plenty of time to drive out and back. We will be in and around lots of towns so there will be plenty of opportunity to refuel and resupply.

All vehicles will require front and rear recovery points and carry its own recovery gear.

Can I have a show of hands of those attending please.

Matt H

If interest is low I may head out to the crowsnest pass and spend the week camping and running trails like the racehorse in that area.
Much closer.