A little comparison

Started by Trevor, March 26, 2015, 06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

It's Easter Jeep Safari time, which means its also time for Jeep to gather up its array of concept vehicles for this year and show them off to the fans. Jeep does some rather weird and surprising things for this event. They actually send people...lots of people...and tents to display things...and engineers to talk about cool technical stuff using complicated terms and slide rulers and such...and sales and marketing guys to provide, well, whatever value it is sales and marketing guys provide...

http://www.chron.com/cars/article/Jeep-celebrates-Easter-Safari-with-7-new-concept-6158842.php#photo-7715044

Those folks that came down to the LRNR last fall will be able to compare the above with the rather epic support Land Rover provides for the National Rally down in Moab. It was heartfelt and almost brought me to tears because....

...they sent a driver trainer....who could only stay a few hours....with a slide show....detailing for us how unimportant we were compared to their real customers who, I quote, "drive the new Range Rovers as their 4th or 5th car."

Jeep better watch out!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

And it was nice of Jeep to build the new Defender 110 seeing as there is no hope in hell Land Rover will do it.

binch

I got a note from one of the fellas in the LR club near Heighington UK saying he was heading there for the big Jeep do and asked if I had any suggestions.hahahaha      I suggested going at another time when it was so damned busy!!!!     I'm sure he's in for a real treat and will have lots to tell the rest of the club about.   
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

After the LR rep finished his presentation at the 2014 LRNR I realized that LR, under Tata's ownership, just don't care at all. But then again the aftermarket vendors effort was even worse. They didn't even show up!

All in all a very poor showing for the LR faithful.

Imagine if LR showed the same sort of grass roots support that the Jeep guy's enjoy? I'd probably pass out!!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on March 26, 2015, 07:28 PM
And it was nice of Jeep to build the new Defender 110 seeing as there is no hope in hell Land Rover will do it.

That's one concept vehicle I really hope makes it to the production line.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

Reminds of an old 45 Series Land Cruiser Troopy.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on March 27, 2015, 06:01 AMReminds of an old 45 Series Land Cruiser Troopy.

You do know Matt that Toyota still builds them like this, more or less, although they finally did update the body style a bit.
http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series/specifications/wagon-workmate

binch

I saw an old toyota fj pickup yesterday with 40" plus tires on it.   very clean and pretty in show room condition......but wouldn't want to have it on any kind of side angle,
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Here's a more detailed look at the Defender, from Jeep. Man I hope they push this one from concept into production. This has the potential to be a pretty impressive rig, and it would be beautiful to see them rub LR's nose in it. I'd certainly look very seriously at buying one of these.

― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Oh the shame of it....... :-\
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on April 08, 2015, 10:08 PM
Oh the shame of it....... :-\

Look at it this way Bill. Its not as important what logo sits above the grill. What is important is that there are companies out there still building these types of vehicles for us and supporting this segment of the market.
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

I bet an original late 80's-90's era TDI Disco 1, Nissan Patrol, 80 Series LC, Mitsubishi Pajero or Isuzu Trooper could all run rings around that concept in all areas save factory warranty and bolt on modifications. Jeep are very late to this particular party.

However, It's interesting to see Jeep acknowledging the mainstream overland market. So late in the JK lifecycle I doubt we will see it come into production but with both the new Wrangler and new Defender slated for a 2016 release it seems Jeep have made their intentions toward any challenge from a new utility Land Rover sold on US shores clear.

I'm still holding out for something worthy from LR. Time will tell.

Let the sport commence!

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on April 08, 2015, 11:39 PM
80 Series LC, Mitsubishi Pajero or Isuzu Trooper

An 80 series is too big, heavy and weakly built.  The Paj and the Trooper are IFS and soft roaders.  I've a lot of experience with all three in Australia and they are not in the same ballpark as real off roaders.

A JK is well built with multilink live axles, great gearing and good stock strength.  They only let down in cargo area, which this concept solves.  Our more or less stock JK Rubicon on 35s could go anywhere my 90 could go on 34s.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on April 08, 2015, 11:39 PM
I bet an original late 80's-90's era TDI Disco 1, Nissan Patrol, 80 Series LC, Mitsubishi Pajero or Isuzu Trooper could all run rings around that concept in all areas save factory warranty and bolt on modifications. Jeep are very late to this particular party.

However, It's interesting to see Jeep acknowledging the mainstream overland market. So late in the JK lifecycle I doubt we will see it come into production but with both the new Wrangler and new Defender slated for a 2016 release it seems Jeep have made their intentions toward any challenge from a new utility Land Rover sold on US shores clear.

I'm still holding out for something worthy from LR. Time will tell.

Let the sport commence!

I certainly wouldn't rate any of the vehicles you mention as at all on par. Just using a full size stock Rubicon JK as an example, it will easily out perform all of those vehicle offroad...it really isn't even a fair comparison imo. Interestingly enough, the full sized JK's actually have a decent amount of cargo space, in the same neighborhood as a D1 at least. But the concept vehicle of course addresses that issue, as well as introduces a deisel.

I think the fact that they are dropping an overlanding body on the best offroading platform offered today is the real beauty of the concept because you've got proven, rock solid off road ability at the base of the project.

You do make a good point on whether or not this will ever see the light of day as a production vehicle. The concepy cars, after all, rarely do. As you note the timing is interesting, and the social media response for this one vehicle has been significant, and very positive. We can only hope.

I'm not brand loyal. I genuinely don't care anymore what tag is on the vehicle. I care what I am getting, and that it meets my needs/desires. Whether that be Jeep, LR, Toyota, etc doesn't hold as much weight as loyalty back from these companies is a fleeting thing. Mind you, if there was a company that I would say actually ties in well to its customer base, it would be Jeep. LR actually does this moderately well also. But we are not the customers they are targeting, so we don't see as much of it.

― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

The real edge the JK has on any of those units I mentioned is the fact they are in current production not already 20 years old. That one fact alone is probably enough win most fire side discussions but the JKU is not without its shortcomings.

Epic weight has always been the major problem with the JKU platform. It makes the vehicle slow, thirsty and hard on suspension parts and brakes. Well known bending the Dana 44 axle tubes under sometimes even moderate use, bolting on a perminently mounted hard top and loading it up for expeditions may require a little more engineering than a roof, a couple of cool looking jerry cans (I did like those) and a flat sand paint job. Nobody makes a light enough Diesel engine that has the jam to move a loaded up, modded JKU.

The JKU has always needed a either a serious diet or a V8 and Dana 60 axles like AEV build.

Despite the fact that offering a bigger, wider, four door Wrangler was a brilliant idea I always liked the TJ better as a off roader.
My 2c