Working in the UK?

Started by headdamage, February 22, 2016, 12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

If I were to move to the UK for a few years (family situation "might" require it) how difficult or not would it be to find work there? I have a UK passport but have never worked in the UK. I'm guessing I'd be considered somewhat unskilled by UK standards in my field which is the Environment. Is unskilled work hard to come by there?

Thanks.

SpeedyJ

I went to school in Leeds in 2001-02. I only had a student visa (that quite specifically excluded me from working in the UK), but I was still able to get three part-time jobs by the end of my first week there. Nothing fancy, a few hours at a cafe, a shift or two at the local ski shop and a couple afternoons of as a bike courier every week, but it was enough to cover my expenses for the duration of my stay.

No one seemed to care that I wasn't eligible to work, for the most part they were just surprised that a student actually wanted to work.

Obviously your results might vary, but that was my experience at that time.

Cheers

Jeff

Trevor

I've got no first hand knowledge to offer, however I did manage to find some light reading for you on the subject  ;D

https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

headdamage

I have a UK passport so legally working is not the issue. I'm just wondering what it would be like trying to find a job with no UK job experience.

Trevor

ah, gotcha.

Well, if you're having problems getting to sleep at night, that link I provided will also help with that!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

what part of the UK are you planning to head to Andrew?    Some areas are more depressed then other areas.....  Let me know please.

Cheers, Bill

headdamage

No idea yet but Roza is thinking of heading back for work sometime. Likely the Southeast maybe in a couple of years.

binch

Unfortunately I don't know too many people down south....but there usually seems to be work for those interested in working ;-)

;)
Cheers, Bill

Rambler

One part of the UK where you should find work is lincolnshire.  Inexpensive accommodation and outdoor work - helping with crops and picking fruit/vegetables.  They have to import lots of foreign labour to do this as many of the younger generation shy away from hard work.

I worked in the field of geology and environment when I lived in the UK.  Very tough to find work in that field as the University's turn out hundreds of qualified students in those areas each year.  Even more difficult if you've no work experience. 

Lots of work in pubs, cafes and the service industries (retail and telemarketing), but pay is poor and in the south east living costs put Calgary and Vancouver to shame.

Good luck.
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Matt H

I wouldn't worry too much about no UK specific experience. The English tend to really like Canadians because of our shared heritage and the instant, unwavering support in the two world wars. There are so many migrant workers in the UK that finding a guy from a civilized country like Canada will probably work to your advantage.

Lots of security work in the UK on account of there being lots of little thieving bastards living there too.

Most of it is night work obviously but anyone that can drive, speak, read and write English well and has a head on their shoulders rise quickly to supervisory positions.

Any practical trade, even if you don't hold a ticket, is always employable over there. For the past 30+ years the British education system has been focused pumping out loads of university educated academic workers with degrees in difficult to employ subjects such as art, history, humanities etc. Just because a degree looked good on a CV and they are the simplest ones to get. The up side of this is you have almost an entire generation of folks that can quote poetry and identify a Piccaso but can't do much more than change a lightbulb. So if you have any electrical, mechanical (I know for sure you have this) , building, plumbing skills etc it shouldn't be too difficult to find employment.

Any kind of work ethic will also help lots. You don't need to be full on Alberta crazy work yourself to death, because that will scare the locals lol. But showing up on time willing to work is becoming unusual in Britain.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Alex C

The Club can keep you employed, just go from scrap yard to scrap yard securing defender doors, bonnets, engines etc and loading them in the sea-can :-)

Matt is on the right track, once you get a start you should be able to work your way into a decent position.
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"