Fouled plugs

Started by Gardenome, May 06, 2017, 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

3 of 4 plugs were very black. Last plug was full of crud.

1) need good plug replacement suggestions

2) where should I start in preventing this from happening again? Hotter plugs? Carb work? Seals? All I can think of myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ugly_90

Were these new pugs installed a few thousand Km or less ago? Or are these as found plugs of unknown history? There used to be a page in domestic haynes repair manuals showing plug conditions and expected cause/effects, and there are a few of them.

Gardenome

New plugs. Less than 100 Km's but some idling as well. I'll check out the manual.

Red90

This is a Series?

If they are the correct plugs for the engine and you are not using massive amounts of oil, then you must be running rich.  Make sure the idle mixture is adjusted properly and if then look at pulling the carb apart and going over it.

Gardenome

I think I have richness issues as well as a bad valve seal. 3 plugs were black with carbon. One was oily and full of gunk.

Matt H

Bear in mind that with points ign and a carburettor the plugs are never going to be that light tan colour you see in the back of the Haynes manuals for long.

Now, they shouldn't be covered in oil or soot either but if all the engine has seen is idle time these too could be misleading.

If the vehicle can given a good hard run with fresh gas (perhaps with a tin of sea foam) and a decent oil with a additive package that can help the seals that can often clear up many issues.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Gardenome

I currently can't get it to run good and hard.

Gardenome

Anyone tried the princess auto Valve compression tool? Starting to dig into the engine on my 2 liter.

Matt H

Ok, before you start getting serious what are expecting? I would suggest taking a look at the stock performance spec's for your configuration, allow for 30+  years of use and go from there.

Gardenome

I'm concerned about the oil accumulating on my cylinder head. Series one forum mentioned valve seals and that they may have failed. Just discovering that I have no valve seals at all. I was able to get the springs out but want to be more certain and careful putting them back in.

Matt H

Gotcha, valve spring compressor. Generally two types are common. One that you can use with the head in place and the other that requires the head to be removed. I like the first type, especially for IOE engines. It's more versatile.