Lightweight won't start

Started by B-Red, September 19, 2015, 01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo388

Emad these switches are very expensive.  https://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/land-rover-two-way-fuel-tap-526783.html    95 POUNDS !! :o

I've never taken one apart to see how they seal or even try and work out if they are serviceable.
If you can't get just the gasket, the cost of a new valve is such that I would be considering to get a 1/4"- 3 way valve from someone like NAPA and use that instead.

B-Red

We did open the valve switch and extracted the leather gasket. I ordered the gasket as I found it's part number. I also ordered the fuel gauge electrical switch for both sides. Like a Land Rover, every part can be serviced.
Cheers

Red90

Great job Emad.  That is what I loved about having one of those trucks.  Every part is designed to be rebuild, not replaced.  No better way to know your own vehicle than to get in their and troubleshoot your way.

camo388

Quote from: B-Red on July 31, 2017, 03:54 PM
I also ordered the fuel gauge electrical switch for both sides. 
It's been a long time since I worked on my switch so I need to go have a closer look at my LWT.  I was under the impression the electrical switch was part of the tank switch.  Turning the switch to change tanks also changed the fuel gauge to the tank you are using.  I remember at the time thinking a neat set up but if you are running and change tanks to check levels, could you be sucking air if the gauge is slow to react?? >:(
Great to here you have your trouble sorted.

binch

There are two electic botton switches.   When the valve handle is turned to tank A a cam lob on the handle presses in the button switch, directing the gauge to read tank A.  Same for switching to Tank B.      The button switches are easily detached from the top of the valve.   Quite a simple system really.   KISS :-)
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

The tab selector gasket number is NRC5364. I was reviewing few other forums and I am seeing two types of materials to replicate it. Leather and Cork. The thickness is around 3-4 mm or 1/8". I will copy the pattern from the assembly and draft it up.
I was wondering if anybody knows if Cork or leather behave different with diesel fuel or Petrol fuel?
Also, would the Gasket Maker material that we get from BritPart work on such setup?

camo388

I had a look at my LWT and the electric switches are exactly as Bill describes.

Generally thinking as diesel is oily, it may tend to soften the leather and you might have to keep tightening the valve to maintain the seal.  Cork on the other hand should keep it's shape/ thickness and need tightening less often??  Just my opinion and not backed by science.