7.50 R16 Tires - Yokohama Y742s

Started by SpeedyJ, May 29, 2018, 11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedyJ

From time to time club members have asked about 7.50R16 tires, 235/85R16 is always an option with lots of choices, but sometimes you just want something that looks 'right' on a Series. I spent way too much time overthinking this topic a few years ago and eventually stumbled upon the Yokohama Y742s. The Yokohama is a traditional looking tire with modern construction that's manufactured in Japan, in my opinion, it's a really nice choice for a series truck. It doesn't look out of place the same way other modern tires do and I suspect that it's a much better quality tire then something like the Deestone. They run ~$240 CAD from Kal-Tire, so they're reasonable priced, especially compared to hard as rock old stock Michelin XZLs.

The long and short of it is that I thought other club members might be interested in an decent, affordable, available tire in this size. I spoke to Kal-Tire this am (looking for a 5th one as a spare) and it sounds like they're in the warehouse 2-4 days out for most locations.

-Jeff

Trevor

That does look like a nice fit for a Series.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Gardenome

Tires are one of the things I'm saving for...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambler

Thanks for the note.  I bought a set of these over a year ago but have yet to fit them as my rebuild is running behind.  Kaltire in regina wanted a lot more than Kaltire in Newfoundland (a forum poster flagged these up then) or Alberta so I ordered mine from a tyre shop in Quebec, paying about what you paid.

I think these look great and are the correct size!
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas