New Tyres for LR4

Started by Matt H, November 20, 2017, 08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

Just got a new set of 265/60R18 BFG All Terrain KO2 fitted to Elenor (the LR4) on new Compomotive PD1881 18" alloy wheels.  8)

Despite the fact this model had the HD package with a rear locking differential etc, the D4 came factory fitted with stupid 20" wheels and low profile street tread tyres that seriously limited performance on anything save perfectly smooth dry pavement. Why Land Rover think this is desirable I have no idea?

We do off-road the truck some. Nothing hard core but in the past year we have driven the 'back trail route' into the Crowsnest Pass campsite and sections of the Wild Bill/Blacktail trail system in Montana (Possible club event next year? more on that to follow) and in future would like to do more. I needed something with more side wall and more grip. Also, we drive gravel roads every day and need to have the tyres not suck in winter or on the street. A tall order!

And now the order gets even taller...The choice of smaller than stock wheel options available for the LR4 is extremely limited. Basically you have stock/aftermarket 19" wheels or if an 18" wheel is desired a choice of either a cheaper but dubious sounding Lucky8 steel wheel and spacer + grinding the brake caliper or Compomotive racing wheels that are rather expensive. 17" wheels won't fit the massive brake rotors and calipers.
I went for the Compomotive option because they are high quality and a direct fit. I went for 18" rims because the choice of available all terrain tyres in 18" rim sizes is much better than 19" plus I get an additional inch of sidewall.

This is my wife's car so it still needs to handle Hwy duty etc so after reading many a review I decided on the tried and true BFG All Terrain KO2 in a stock diameter. As a suspension lift is not wanted/needed and going any bigger creates issues with fitting the spare wheel/tyre in the stock location anyway.

So what can I say so far? Well, the wheels fit perfectly with zero clearance issues and with the tyres balanced out nicely. I need to find some black hub caps as the silver OE units look a little goofy. Although noticeably louder, the road noise from the AT tread tyres is not too bad. Handling seems unchanged on the street/gravel.
I will give a longer term review as time passes.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Matt H

I will post some better pictures when I get the chance to wash the car and get a few shots in the daylight.

alany

Hey Matt. You didn't want to go to 265/65/18's ? I have to replace my tires on my LR3 after winter so was thinking of going to 265/65/18's. Not sure yet on the make/model of tire yet. Currently have the Cooper AT3's but thinking of Durtracs or KO2's.

Matt H

From what I have read the slightly taller tyre creates some clearance issues for the fitting the spare in the stock location under the vehicle. You can get around this by removing the heat shielding near the exhaust and deflating the tyre (and kinda defeating the object of having a spare) but for the minimal height increase I didn't think it was worth it.

We have been very happy with the BFG AT's so far. They are actually now quieter than the road tyres they replaced! Handling has improved and grip on icy roads, snow and gravel is 100% better. All in all a very good all around tyre. The Compomotivewheels are holding up great!

I have had duratracs on my pickup and Range Rover (currently on my 110) and they are also a great tyre but a little more aggressive and louder on the road than the BFG AT's.

binch

Colin Northcott had a set of GY wranglers on his 110 before he sold it.....but they were the next step down from the duratrac and with more of an AT type design.   He seemed pretty happy with them at the time...but maybe ask him directly.   Another option to the list of many ;-)

cheers, Bill
Cheers, Bill

alany

Yea the 265/65/18's won't fit in the spare wheel location. I have a full size spare currently and they JUST fit but I was thinking of putting a wheel carrier on the back of my LR3 so thinking of going to the 265/65/18's.

I'm thinking of the KO2's. The tire shop I'm dealing with quoted the same price for either the Duratracs or KO2's. Might be able to get a better price if we did a group buy if this is of interest.

Matt H

A couple of cleaner pictures of the Compomotive wheels and BFG KO2's on Joy's LR4.