Steering pump

Started by TJay, September 02, 2017, 09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJay

Figured I'd start a new thread for this even tho it is related. Of late I have noticed that at low revs the steering pump groans as I turn and is getting worse as time goes on yup it's full, good quality atf and does seep a bit. I have seen on other forums guys that have gone to chev pumps or should I stick to oem? rebuild? The truck has almost 480k km's on it and looks like the original pump. Any thoughts?

Thanks Tom
'97 D1

binch

If the belt is tight (got start with the basics  ;D) and you think the pump is on its way out why not replace it with new.....If you are correct and that's the orgininal steering pump, and it has 480,000 km on it.....Sounds like its done very well for itself.   Replace it with like.
Cheers, Bill

TJay

Was just looking at the invoices I got with the D1 and the oldest is from '05, tranny rebuilt '06, engine work supposedly done but no invoice ??? Couldn't find anything for p/s pump so I'm assuming ??? it is original. So since it is leaking around the hoses figure I'll replace those first as I've heard tell some will separate inside with age and cause partial blockage. Also the price for a genuine p/s pump is about $850  :o

Tom

binch

Clean up the area around the hoses and the pump so you can clearly see what's leaking.  could be either or both.      You can always go aftermarket for 1/4 the price of genuine.    But if that's the original part and your vehicle is how old...?    You've done pretty well with that part me thinks ;-)
Cheers, Bill