drag link / tie rods

Started by TJay, August 27, 2017, 08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJay

Just got back home from a camping/fishing trip out around the Cadomin area and with my luck I had the rod end at the pitman come apart and consequently wrapped around the diff. (yup I did check them when I did service on diffs, propshafts etc about 3 weeks ago) anyway just looking at everyones thoughts on heavy duty rods. Is it worth springing for the extra cash or should I just go with oem. I don't really do much hard off roading but. Also does straightening a rod weaken it enough to justify getting a new one?

Tom

Red90

The stock ones bend pretty easily when hit off road. so either heavier ones or guards are a good idea.

Not sure what vehicle this is. If it is a Defender it is a good plan to change to the Discovery style arm as it is easier to service.

pechanec

If you've bent it, replace it. Few hundred dollars Vs the alternative-possible failure at high speed

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

TJay

Sorry about the in replying got an impromptu invite to go fishing for a few days that could not be passed. I have gone for an oem drag link ( couldn't justify the expense of shipping for solid ones ) so I think I will get or fab a guard in the near future same for the diffs.

Thanks Tom

binch

I put the heavy steering arms on both the defender and disco...... not much more expense shipping original for upgraded.   Especially with a club order ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

You can always sleeve the new bar with a heavy wall pipe before you install it. I did that on my old Rangie years ago after I bent it in the crows nest pass. Didn't even hit anything, I just bounced a wheel off a tree stump and it bent.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

TJay

Yes Matt H, I've done similar in other applications with good results. Thanks for refreshing my old memory cells  ;) I think I will go that route toughens things up real good.

headdamage

I bent a the tie rod from getting a wheel in a rut in my old 110. Had to use the winch to pull it back into shape. I've added heavy duty bars to my 90 because of that experience.