110 Air helper springs.

Started by Matt H, August 18, 2017, 09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

ROFL     I actually find my ride pretty comfortable.   Even if it is LOUD!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWWDKZ-kydE
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Hehe, yeah, I agree, it's actually not that bad at all. :)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

So I was messing about in the 110 the other day seeing if I could get past the axle twister "trap" I built test the Mighty Range Rover when I popped a rear spring out of place.

That got me thinking about both the air and coil spring helpers and what would happen to them if I were to dislocate a spring in the bush?

Regular coil is no big deal, I just jack it up and use a pry bar to jimmy it back into place. Happened lots. Done exactly that lots.  And I can always retain a single coil spring or fit relocation cones.

But what happens to the airlift bag or the helper coils when this happens? It's not like you could fit relocation cones or retainers, or can you fit retainers?

By the way I didn't make it past the trap in the 110 despite the longer wheelbase lol.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Ah HUH!!!   There's a solution to that problem for the hard core twisters....... X Eng helper springs!!!!

It's basically another set of softer springs that act as dislocation cones and extra springs.   Have a read about it...quite bright that idea!

https://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=65_1759&product_id=72
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Hmm, I'll have a look later today, but I'm pretty sure my rears are secured in place top and bottom with mounting brackets.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

The airbags stay firmly stuck within the coil spring.  They take a lot of effort to get them out of the spring.

binch

If I'm not mistaken..Norman has those X eng dislocation springs on his 90.   Had them for 3 or 4 years now I believe.
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Do X-Eng springs assist in general load carrying or just come into play as the factory spring unloads during articulation?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Quote from: Matt H on September 16, 2017, 09:24 AM
Do X-Eng springs assist in general load carrying or just come into play as the factory spring unloads during articulation?

I'm sorry Matt, I can't answer that question for sure.   But since they say the spring constantly appies 250lbs to the axle I would think they carry too.   Maybe contact them directly, or speak with Norman. ???
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Mine don't have brackets at the top, only the bottom. It would be easy enough to fab up a pair. Mine won't articulate enough for it to be an issue anyway as I've got larger bump stops.
― George Orwell, 1984