The Dreaded wheel wobble on a Defender 300 Tdi

Started by Kevan, August 15, 2017, 02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevan

First of all I would like to introduce myself. Iam Kevan from England who is currently on a RTW trip. Since leaving China I've had a wheel wobble in the front, been to Land Rover dealers in Cambodia, Rocklin California, and Roverlution in Vancouver. They have put new swivels in, new Radius arm bushes in, I've even put two new wheels on the front. But nothing seems to help. Getting a wee bit sick of spending a very lot of money at garages who don't seem to know what they are doing.
Has anybody in Alberta got ang ideas.
Many thanks.
Sorry if my replys take a long time, but we don't have internet most of the time

Red90

I'm not sure what they could have missed.  Rovalution should know what to look for.

- Hub bearings tight.
- Swivel bearings tight.
- Wheels not bent.
- Panhard rod bushing good and bolts very tight.
- All steering components tight.
- Alignment set properly.  If you have a lift over 3", caster will be negative and it can help to fix that with adjusted swivels or radius arms.  An alignment check should rule out a few other things as well.

binch

Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Has the steering gear and steering colum been checked? If all the usual problems have been eliminated the problem might lie there.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Kevan

Alright lads.
Very sorry for the late reply. Had some problems with the internet. Well I took the landy into Canadian tire
to have the wheels balanced once more. They did a really good job, switching tyres and wheels around. The wobble is still there a wee bit, but all being well I should be able to get to Halifax with it. After that it will be on the boat to the UK
Next year I'll replace a lot of stuff, new halfshafts, Swivels, brake disc, brake callipers etc etc.
Very many thanks for all of your help.
Always nice to get help from other landy owners.
If there is anything I can do to help you bloke's please let me know
The crazy thing is you bring yer landy to a Landrover Stealer's and nobody knows nothing about defenders. There are all computer technician's. Sad Day.

Very Many Thanks
Cheers
Kevan

Trevor

Quote from: Kevan on August 21, 2017, 07:28 PM

The crazy thing is you bring yer landy to a Landrover Stealer's and nobody knows nothing about defenders. There are all computer technician's. Sad Day.

Very Many Thanks
Cheers
Kevan

Lol, very true. You won't find anyone working at a LR dealership here who can do much on a Defender. I'd imagine most of their technicians have never seen one in person.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

A month or so ago we were in the Calgary Land Rover dealer having warranty work done my wife's LR4 and I happened to mention I like the older Land Rovers. The service manager came over asked me if I had a ticket and when I replied yes and listed all the old crap I've owned/still own over the years he offered me a job on the spot. He told me none of the guys in his shop will work on anything older!

Not bad pay either. If I was still living in Calgary...
No Road Except For Land-Rover.