Radiator servicing - Edmonton

Started by Trevor, August 02, 2017, 09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Had a leaking water pump on the weekend...no problem, I had a spare and swapped it out. Everything ran fine. There's been a squeak coming from that area for a bit, and I thought it was the water pump, but after the new one was put in, squeak was still there, and actually worse. So pulled the tnesioner, grapped a new bearing from NAPA and swapped it out. Squeak still there, but the actually pulley looked a little rough so I think its simply not running true anymore. Will replace that with a new one.

However, just a day later, this morning the rad popped a hole on the way into the office. Hrmph! Not sure if I may have inadvertently damaged something while swapping the tensioner in and out or what happened there...awfully coincidental though.

But to my question...in the Edmonton area, can anyone recommend a good rad rebuild shop? I was thinking about Hunters Radiator as they have a good reputation, but am interested others experience.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Hunters is the shop bert and dave use.    But check new as well.    Depending on what hunters wants to repair it may be more cost effective to get a replacement   ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

Luckily it wasn't the rad after all. The top hose clip on the water pump mount that keeps the hose from sitting on the pulley had given way, and a small hole was rubbed in the hose. It's part of one big hose assembly, and the leak was such that it managed to trickle down along the underside of the hose all the way to the bottom of the rad, and then drip there. So at first blink, it looked like it was coming from the rad.

I had a spare, so swapped it in, and the original hose is repairable and will serve as a good spare.

Also managed to fix my tensioner pully squeaking. The bearing replacement didn't fix it, she was squealing worse after that. So it became pretty obvious that the entire tensioner mount had gotten out of true. The "penny trick" solved the problem, no more noise. CT is back on the road again.
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Bush repairs....gotta love it!!! 8)
Cheers, Bill