Fuel pump issue

Started by davis911s, June 24, 2017, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davis911s

Broke down in my Series III today

Drove 1/2 trip on highway, all was great. Parked it, when I came out 10 minutes later it started but died 100M later and would not start.

I have it down to fuel delivery. When I pour a little gas in the carb, it will start but die when it burns that fuel off.

It has 1/4 gas (verified by taking out the float and ensuring the tube is submersed)

I emptied the float bowl but it will not refill

My Land Rover has an electric fuel pump on the frame between the tank and the float bowl. I took off the inlet line and fuel came out the line so I know fuel is getting to there.

The electric wire to the fuel pump seems to go back towards the fuel tank. I was unable to check for voltage at the fuel line. I assume it is either a blown fuse, or fuel pump itself failed.

Where is the fuse for the fuel pump? I'm not sure if this is factory because there is a mechanical fuel pump on the side of the engine (attached to the float or sediment bowl) and all the ads I see for series III fuel pumps are mechanical pumps. The electric one is identical to a V8 type pump

I attached photos of both the fuel pumps that are on mine

Ideas?

Red90

Probably added by a previous owner so the wiring could be anything.

Matt H

The electric pump will be a previous owner addition.

Jump a (ideally fused) 12v wire directly from the battery to the pump and see if it will run for you. Be careful there is no fuel leaks or wet fuel about as it may spark a little.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

davis911s

Electric pump was previous owner addition. I had no power to the pump with key on. I traced the wire back and he had installed a switch between the 12V power and the fuel pump. (homemade security feature). One of my kids or dog must have bumped the switch when getting into, or out of the Land Rover when we parked.

Simple, yet it cost me a few hours scratching my head and troubleshooting. Oh well its working, and now I know I have a security system :)

Matt H

Hahaha, that's too funny!  :D :D

The joys of an old Land Rover. Glad you got it running again.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

RossM

I picked up my 109 today from the shop after they rebuilt the mechanical fuel pump. First rebuild in ~25 years. I think having an electric pump is just an unnecessary complication. Rebuild the mechanical, bypass the electrical but leave it in place if you need that backup piece of mind! Just my 2£?
Cheers
Ross 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rutmaster

Oh the joys of fault finding a previous owners handiwork  ???  I have to agree with RossM suggestion as the mechanical fuel pump is reliable and will outlast the electric version