Another Oil Thread - Engine Oil for 4.4/LR3

Started by SpeedyJ, June 20, 2017, 01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedyJ

Sorry to do this, but here's another oil thread.

I'm just wondering what other LR3 owners are using for engine oil in their 4.4 V8s. Atlantic British sells Castrol EDGE™ Professional OE Synthetic 5W/30 Oil, but I can't find this locally. Castrol Edge Syntec 5W-30 has  the required GF-3 rating and is available locally, so it seems like a safe choice. Mobil 1 synthetic is on sale, but it appears to be GF-5.

Thoughts?

-Jeff

SpeedyJ

Thanks for the link John, admittedly I tend to overthink this topic. A little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

Red90

I would personally use this http://lubes.mobil.ca/canada-english-lcw/carengineoils_products_mobil-1_afe-0w30.aspx#  Going to a 0W30 will reduce cold start wear during extreme winter temperature without changing anything when hot.

They only specified GF-3 because that was the latest at the time they wrote the manual.

SpeedyJ

Conveniently the Mobil 1 is what's on sale at PartSource for $32 (5.4L).

Matt H

I just used the Castrol regular mineral oil and changed it every 5K in our 06 LR3.
The owners manual has the oil/temp chart in the back that indicated 5w30 so I just used that year round. I do have a block heater for very cold days though. Synthetic is likely superior but after 320,000km and the engine hasn't skipped a beat. Just changed the plugs last month and they hardly even showed any wear!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.