Ford diesel engine oil advisory

Started by Trevor, May 18, 2017, 02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

For any running the Ford 6.7 Powerstroke, this will be of interest to you.

http://fordauthority.com/2017/03/ford-launches-new-oil-spec-for-6-7l-power-stroke-diesel/
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

only see stuff on changing a password... ???
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Link seems broken.

The issue is really beyond Ford and should concern all people buying diesel engine oils.  Here is a good read.

https://www.oildepot.ca/solution-ford-concerns-2017-api-ck-4-diesel-motor-oil-specs/

Trevor

Weird, works fine for me. Let me see if I can get it sorted out.

Edit: I found a new link, hopefully that works
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

so....where does this leave us with our every popular shell rotella then? :o
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

It seems Chrysler - Dodge dropped Exxon Mobil1 engine oils for Penzoil a few years ago for even their larger 6.7 diesels. I don't know why that was done, perhaps contract or emissions differences.

I wouldn't venture that the Penzoil would be inherently any better for landrover, farm or construction diesels.

It seemed like some of the (article I could open) dealt with concerns about additive and phosphate levels, which may already be covered off in Rotella with ZDDP?

Added to this, it appears that lubricants have improved greatly in the last few decades, perhaps even since the older diesels and early turbo diesels. The oil available now may exceed manufacturers specifications.

Shell has a guarantee/warranty program for Rotella with heavy vehicles in the US, even if you change your own oil. Something like 500K miles for the synthetic, and less for the conventional.

Fleets of old diesels running Rotella, Delo, Mobil 1 would need to stop if there were any major issue. I do know of one large company that uses Royal Purple gear oil in some of their oilfield pumps, I had never seen that brand in industrial non-engine use before.

Trevor

If Rotella is still CJ-4 compliant and hasn't moved to CK-4 compliance, it would be fine for Ford's according to their release. If it has moved to CK-4, or some combination of CJ-4/CK-4 then I have no idea. I also have no idea how it applies to the older 200 and 300TDI's in our LR's.

― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Everyone will be moving to CK-4 and we are in the transition period.  Shell has their T6 brochure offline probably for the change and Mobil introduced the new formulation at the beginning of the year.

As the article states, they are not required to reduce ZDDP levels for XW40 oils, so it probably will not impact anything we would be using for Land Rover diesel engines.  Whether or not ZDDP levels impact wear on these engines is not known either.  You would need to do back to back oil analysis to know anything.

Bargrip

Looks like CK-4 oil is backwards compatible for all CJ-4 users, cannot use a FA-4 oil though, which is only compatible with  2017> hi-way vehicles NOT FOR OFF ROAD EQUIPMENT USE....

Taking out all the good stuff from the oil (zinc Phosphorus Etc ) so not to damage the Cats I assume ... to hell with the engine!
Just a note, all the new big trucks are coming factory fill with 10-30 oil, guessing to give a tad better fuel economy. ::)