alternate used sources for defender parts?

Started by ugly_90, May 16, 2017, 06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

Sorting through the scrapyard here, I missed a heater fan with squirrel cage small enough to cleanly adapt to the 110, most seemed much larger, even in the vans, and older compact trucks, even imports like an early 90's Nissan pickup. Didn't seem to be much I can repurpose there. The only obvious find was older Jeep Cherokee and Toyota Tacoma horns, it seems I could bring those over. The cheapest part on a landrover though, hardly worth doing.

Trouble is, all my running gear is original, but I'm missing a bit here and there robbed by the army when it was abandoned. Windshield wipe and wash, a few lighting bits, some of what they nabbed wasn't that survivable as plastic parts outdoors anyhow.

With all my moving parts covered off, I was hoping I could repurpose a bit here and there, and avoid new parts. It doesn't seem there's much in this area common to the Disco 1 or RRC.

I note there's a webpage showing cross reference for series parts, and yet another from roverclub.ca showing Rover 2000 car cross reference, but I can't find a document for Defender, particularly North American sourced. Any leads on the same?

An example of the series cross reference here:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRpartNumbers.htm

ugly_90

I think I might have sorted some of this out. Potentially, the heater fan could be common to Austin and MG, so few brit cars here to inspect. Surprisingly there wasn't any extension into Nissan for the same, but I might have needed to be in the Datsun era and early Nissan to find one, and those were all long ago crushed in this yard. I think I know of an Onoway lead for the same.

Red90

There is a GM fan that fits pretty much straight in and can be bought new or picked up used.  The part I have is VDO PM137.  $55 new on Amazon.ca  You can see fitments here: http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/a-c-heater-blower-motor/vdo-a-c-heater-blower-motor/129705_404020_1526_5281 if you want to find one in the junk yard.

Other normal spares like filters, belts, bearings and seals can all be found locally.  In the end, it is usually cheaper to buy from the UK, though. Defender parts are so cheap in the UK, it is hard to beat with anything domestic.

ugly_90

It seems that GM fan is also used on the GM Safari, Astro, Sonoma, S10.  The scrapyard has a Sonoma, but lists $20 for the used part. New is a better buy, although I lose the free connector.