got my new rubber for the 110

Started by binch, November 09, 2016, 11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Well, I've been thinking about it for so long I finally got around to getting off the pot and making a decision!    Since I can't have the SIMEX tyres (not legal in Canada) I had a settle for second best, but I couldn't decide what that was.   It was a toss up between the BFG KM2 MT's or the Goodyear wrangler MT/R's.     The BFG's seem to fare pretty good.   The Goodyears aren't well known but come highly recommended by Norman (that says it all right there), and lastly was the Trxus/Interco/Irok swampers.   Oh decisions, decisions........

I've had a set of the Trxus swampers for several years and they did me well (thanks for that tip John), but I was curious about something else.   So I made my choice the best way I know how.....When I was in at Kal Tire on 99st I asked which of the tires I was interested in did they carry.  BFG KM2's was the answer.   "Can I get them in 235/85R16?" I asked.....    His reply was..."I don't have any here bit I can bring them in from northern BC if you like."     That was it....my very technical comparison of tires, and how I decided!   

Now....If I could get a set of Simex Extreme Trekker tires I wouldn't hesitate to get them....best tire I've seen yet, offroad!

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

KM2's are a good tire. I've run them for several years with very good results.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Yup, you and your Mackenzie run are one of the reasons I decided to try them out sir  ;)

But get me a set of those Simex extremes and I'd give the KM2's away in a heart beat  ahahahhhahahahahhahahahhha

;D
Cheers, Bill

Vwrob

What about the tires that are on the 007 spectre defender? They are maxxis trepador M8060. They are super nice. Although  I've been look all over hells 1/2 acre and can't find them anywhere.

Trevor

I think there's a chain of tire stores in BC that sell the Maxxis. I don't know of any in Alberta  that are yet. Have you checked the various mail-order tire shops too? They seem to carry pretty much everything.

Edit: One other thing I forgot to mention about the Maxxis line, they don't have much to offer for the small tire sizes typical of Land Rovers. 35" is as small as they get I believe.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Quote from: Vwrob on November 12, 2016, 10:47 PM
What about the tires that are on the 007 spectre defender? They are maxxis trepador M8060. They are super nice. Although  I've been look all over hells 1/2 acre and can't find them anywhere.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Maxxis-Trepador-Tires.aspx?t_c=13&t_s=533&t_pt=101499&gclid=CI7-0c-eptACFQ0yaQodSWwLlg

But NOPE, not as good as the Simex extremes   ;D
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on November 13, 2016, 10:20 AM
Quote from: Vwrob on November 12, 2016, 10:47 PM

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Maxxis-Trepador-Tires.aspx?t_c=13&t_s=533&t_pt=101499&gclid=CI7-0c-eptACFQ0yaQodSWwLlg

But NOPE, not as good as the Simex extremes   ;D

Apparently you can get Simex in the US, although all their off-road oriented tires appear to be bias ply....

http://www.tirexusa.com/simex/simex.html

I don't know much about them other than they're "south east asia made" = China. Have you run them before Bill? What is it that you like about them?
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

You would not want to drive either of those tires on the road.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on November 13, 2016, 11:54 AM
You would not want to drive either of those tires on the road.

Very true.... a waste of good rubber and the road manors would be less then stellar ;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

I had a set of Interco SS Boggers on an old Chevy pickup I used to wheel. Same deal. Bias ply, tough as nails and if you need to turn sticky clay mud into 20' tall rooster tails, accept no substitutes. But awful on the road. Especially in cold weather. 
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Cheers, Bill