LR3/LR4 for off-road use?

Started by Jakedan, December 15, 2017, 07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakedan

Any member using an LR3/4 for off-road use, camping, overlanding, lots of gravel travel etc? What do you like about it? Is it a truly Disco at heart or is it light duty?

Matt H

We have had both and LR3 and now have a LR4. We drive gravel every day, road trip often and off road on occasion on what I would rate as a "moderate" trails.

Biggest pro's would be power, comfort and reliability.

Biggest cons would be available tyre size, vehicle weight and cost.

I think they are great vehicles. If you are looking for a Defender substitute or a hardcore wheeler then it's not your best option. But for what you are wanting to do it is just about perfect. Get a set of 18" wheels and a decent all terrain tyre and it will not disappoint.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

We saw a bunch of them in Moab and they were doing great!   A few years back a bunch of LR3's did most of the Alexander Mackenzie trail until they were forced off by forest fire.    But what do you really want to do with them?
Cheers, Bill

Jakedan

Mainly overland travel, I'm building my D2 for overland travel right now but I'm always looking at what would come after the D2.

Matt H

Versatile would be best word to describe these units. Also the boxy body and available interior room makes it a great overland option.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.