New engine line up for the 2018 Jeep Wrangler.

Started by Matt H, May 19, 2016, 01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

The new Defender will have additional competition from Jeep as it reveals a small, powerful and apparently economical diesel currently being tested.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1605-spied-2018-jeep-wrangler-with-turbo-inline-four/

Looks like the new for 2018 Jeep Wranglers may have two Diesel engines to choose from. A 2.0L turbo four banger supposedly good for 300hp, the current gas pentistar V6 at around 290hp and the 3.0L V6 turbo diesel (240hp/400ftlbs) currently found as an option in Ram 1/2 ton trucks.

Nothing was reported on pricing but seeing as the current Rubicon Unlimited can set a guy back the best part of $50K I could well imagine a next gen Rubicon unlimited with the V6 diesel option being $60K+.

Rumours have also been circulating about Jeep becoming a stand alone brand with its own dealer networks and showrooms etc.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

headdamage

Is there an engine in the photo or a crate full of snakes?

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on May 19, 2016, 01:16 PM

Nothing was reported on pricing but seeing as the current Rubicon Unlimited can set a guy back the best part of $50K I could well imagine a next gen Rubicon unlimited with the V6 diesel option being $60K+.

Rumours have also been circulating about Jeep becoming a stand alone brand with its own dealer networks and showrooms etc.

That's likely pretty close to the number Matt.

It is good to see more power plant options in these vehicles as it encourages other manufacturers to follow in kind.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Trevor

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

ugly_90

There's also rumors of the Bronco making a return, back to the classic body and grill, unlike the OJ white highway version.

A ford transit diesel would be an easy option for that one.

Not holding my breath on that model either. As time goes on, vehicles become more of an appliance or an accessory. Just as disposable.

Matt H

Quote from: headdamage on May 19, 2016, 03:58 PM
Is there an engine in the photo or a crate full of snakes?

Sadly that is the "accessible" version. It's an engineering test mule so everything is layed out so the power train boffins can test and pull it apart easier. So the when final product arrives it will all be hidden and packaged so tight a guy will need to become expert at keyhole surgery just to work on it.

Ford have been threatening a new Bronco for years but I think the $70-80k F150 Raptor kind of stole it's thunder.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.