Land (or, rather Water) Rover

Started by lropchan, April 06, 2017, 03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ochubb

Quote from: Trevor on April 09, 2017, 06:29 PM
Man that thing looks tippy.
If you look at the photo of the LC closely you will see that the pontoons have mounting posts hanging down, when they come off the roof the posts are inserted into the front and rear bumpers much like the Latvian rig, only without all the hydraulics.  For the propulsion a propeller is attached to the rear PTO.

Quote from: binch on April 09, 2017, 09:05 PM
Those pontoons in Quebec for 3000 bucks....what's the cost of shipping to Edmonton then....I'll bet they won't be cheap!
Probably not but, I'm pretty sure you could get all your money out by selling it in Tuk.  ;D

ochubb

Well, it looks like there will be an all season road all the way to Tuk opening in November this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/multimedia/driving-to-the-top-of-the-world-exploring-canada-s-new-arctic-highway-1.4073615

That doesn't mean we can't float a rover from Devon to Edmonton just for giggles.  ;D

Trevor

I've been to both Dawson City and Tuk. Dawson is definitely worth visiting...Tuk, well, it's a bit less exciting. :)

Going via the Dempster and the new road would be the way to do it though for those that were wanting to do the trip. Saves a lot of mucking around with boats.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

camo388

Yes, it would be an adventure!  More of an endurance test unless they fit more comfortable seats and can play loud music to deaden the noise of a Land Rover. ;D
I drove Inuvik to Edmonton, 5 days and as there were 4 of us, we could change drivers and average 12 or more hours driving each day.
Mind you this was after working 4.5 months in Tuk, so keen to get home and we were not stopping long to sight see.
To drive all that way and do some sightseeing, I'd recommend a month for the round trip.