Decisions decisions.

Started by Matt H, June 05, 2016, 09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

Having trouble deciding about what Land Rover I should keep for my main daily driver/trail rig.

I thought I'd sorted it out several times but heart and head can't seem to stay in agreement.

On the one side I have a stock 1997 Discovery 1 with a 300 TDI and R380 swapped in. I have all the gear on hand to make it into a great trail machine (locker, lift, winch/winch bumper) The 35 mpg fuel economy, decent heater, headroom, outside spare tyre mount and large seven seat cargo bay make it the practical choice and an excellent daily driver/expedition vehicle.

One the other side I have my trail worn 1994 Range Rover Classic. It's lifted, locked, runs 33" tyres, winch and bumper, amour etc. V8 auto with an LT230 T'case. I've had this car for ages and have made some great memories with it. It's not as practical as the Discovery but it works awesome off road and (in my opinion) looks much better, stops better and has loads more power. For trail rides, it's near perfect. 15-17 mpg is not so great though.

Several times I've decided on the D1 and I think I'd be satisfied but then I drive the Mighty Range Rover and I just know I'd miss it and regret selling it. A feeling I don't get so much with the D1. I'm 85% in favour of the Rangie.

Sadly, I can't keep both.

HELP!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

B-Red

Let me ease the pain Matt. Sell it in the club. It will always stay around.
Put both up for sale and see which one goes first.
PS: my eye is on the Rangy

binch

The disco 1 with the diesel sure gives you more range to drive cross country (Alexander Mackenzie trail) on a tank of fuel.  And it's a smart daily driver too!!!   But the disco would fetch a far better dollar on resale then the RRC.    Which one has more cargo space Matt?    Would you use the RRC as a daily driver as well?   I can appreciate the difficulty in the decision that's why I'm going to a 300tdi RRC with an ZF auto to match the diesel ;-)  Best of all worlds.

And I fully agree....the RRC is a good looking vehicle ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Put the TDi in the RRC.....  RRC are just a lot nicer.  On other things, the Disco brakes should be the same, maybe just crappy pads or something.

Or just get a 6.2 and make due with 450 hp and good mileage.

binch

Cheers, Bill

Matt H

My Rangie is one of the last versions of the orginal body style and as such has vented discs, electrical vac pump boosted brakes with rear traction control. And the abs doesn't come on when it's not needed like it does on the disco's.

When you say GM 6.2L you can't mean the old diesel?

I did think about swapping in the TDI from the Disco but then I'd have two vehicles in bits and the Disco would be worthless. Spare time is also in very short supply.

I'm hoping Bill will sell me his 200 TDI powerd Rangie when he is done with it.  8). If that comes to pass it would be an easy swap. If I do keep the Rangie then major rebuild is going to be needed eventually anyway.

I really like the 5 speed manual gearbox in the Disco. The auto works great off road (arguably better than a standard) but I like to shift gears.

Red90

The L92.  I guess only 403 hp in truck form.  With the cylinder deactivation, you get mileage similar to the TDI, if you can hold back enough to drive at the same speeds.

Matt H

Ooo, that sounds very tasty. Is that possible with the system that was being developed by the guy on Defender source?

Some serious axle upgrades may need to be made with that kind of jam under the bonnet!

Trevor

I'd probably stay with your Rangie Matt, I think you'd be miffed at yourself if you parted with it. I can see why it would be a tough decision though, they both have their strong points.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on June 05, 2016, 10:11 PM
Ooo, that sounds very tasty. Is that possible with the system that was being developed by the guy on Defender source?

Some serious axle upgrades may need to be made with that kind of jam under the bonnet!

Yes. He developed a more or less bolt on solution and worked out all the extra bits. Probably still lots of work and money to get it all going but it would sure be fun.

Matt H

So it's going to be the Mighty Range Rover that stays. Thanks for the reality check guys.

I'm still going to build up the Discovery as I already have most of the bits needed but then it's going up for sale. It will be nice when I'm finished so if you fancy a first generation Disco expedition special, watch this space.

Trevor

Matt, is your Disco a 3 door or 5 door?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

Five door, 7 seater, Loaded North American model (USA originally so the speedo etc is in mph) with leather and all the bells and whistles. Even the heated seats work. A Supremely practical and cape able unit. This is the problem with deciding between the two.

Trevor

ok, thanks Matt. It does sound like a great vehicle.
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

I don't think the 3 door models were available in NA were they???? ???
Cheers, Bill