Last Defender off the Line Today

Started by Red90, January 25, 2016, 01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

How do they it's the new Defender platform on the test mule and not the D5 that is slated for release before the Defender?

I'm not going to be surprised if it is an ifs/irs unit though. It not an altogether bad thing anyway. 
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on January 29, 2016, 11:52 AMHow do they it's the new Defender platform on the test mule and not the D5 that is slated for release before the Defender?
Because the person was at Land Rover and they told him it was the new Defender platform being tested.

Quote from: Matt H on January 29, 2016, 11:52 AM
I'm not going to be surprised if it is an ifs/irs unit though. It not an altogether bad thing anyway.
The problem is that at best you can do moderate and the odd difficult trail.  That will be the upper end.  Live axles allow you to fairly easily build to be doing extreme level trails.  It is all about it not being able to be the best or being able to be made as good as the rest.  It will be an okay dual purpose vehicle and have lots of cool doodads.  It will make Land Rover lots of money.  It won't be something that the owner will enjoy following me on an exploration trip in.

binch

Cheers, Bill

Rambler

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

binch

LOL   The nerve of those country folk taking the last of the defenders to work in the field ahhahahah.

I met one of those gentleman who heard the end was near so he ordered his new d110 csw a year ago and took possession in the late spring.   He was told by the sales rep that one of the local adventure companies had ordered 200 of them just for the price.    Something like what happens to the price of automatic weapons in the states everytime there is a mass shooting in the news.   They worry about controls so the price goes up another 10%.
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Curious they would just come out with a big deal detail like independent Suspension like that after being so closed lipped about any feature of the new unit?

I will leave the IS v beam axles debate alone.

Personally I think it was a grave mistake to move away from leaf springs.

Rambler

Some great photos of the last one working its way down the line  :'(

http://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/the-end-of-the-defender/

Hmm, looking down the photos this is not correct as we have seen the last one is a pale green with tilt..  ::)
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Red90

Quote from: Rambler on February 05, 2016, 03:57 PM
Hmm, looking down the photos this is not correct as we have seen the last one is a pale green with tilt..  ::)

Yes, the last one was carefully speced to be as close as possible to the first production Series 1.

binch

I'm really curious what that last one will be worth in 10 years. ::)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

It is probably worth a million right now but it was given to someone that worked for Land Rover for 40 years. I doubt it would ever be sold.

The 2 millionth one sold for $800000 and this would be more valuable.

Matt H

So, if we apply the current rate of depreciation that all modern Land Rovers are subject to it should be worth around $10-15,000 in ten years time.  ;D or $5K if you trade it in.

I'll just wait then.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on February 05, 2016, 06:43 PM
The 2 millionth one sold for $800000 and this would be more valuable.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!
Cheers, Bill

Red90

The red and yellow on the shift levers was a cute touch.