GPS Navigation

Started by B-Red, January 24, 2016, 05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

I am interested in getting feedback on stand alone GPS units used while traveling and off roading.
I have a handheld Garmin 62ST loaded with Topo and backroad maps Sd card. It uses two batteries per day on the trails. While it's great product, it's screen is way too small to read while driving.

Cell phone GPS works also great as long as you have cell plan. Mine overheated while we where in the MOAB and shut down because of high ambient temperature.

The unit has to be big screen, visible in high bright sun days and at night. Works of vehicle charger and off for at least an hour. Can be loaded with off road trails.

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Red90

Any Nuvi will work fine. Lots of options to choose from.   They are the best choice with screens up to 7".

On the 62, you can plug it  to not use the batteries.  Batteries should last 12 hours.

With the phone option you can use offline maps to avoid cell usage.

Trevor

I use a Garmin Montana on the trails, and love it. It's the larger model so you have a good screen size which is easy to see while driving, but it is also nice and portable if you need to take it out of the vehicle. I have dash mounts and power in both my rigs for it which takes the battery life concern out of the equation and also allows you to run the screen at the maxim brightness all the time. I have the Backroad maps card for Alberta/BC, and the Funtreks for Moab. Very handy.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

For purchasing GPScentral.ca and GPScity.ca in Calgary are the best prices in Canada.  If you want to look at them, and talk to people that know something, go to GPSCentral.

B-Red

Thanks for the information fellows. I will visit the Calgary store when I go down. I met them in Edmonton during the HAM radio trade show.
An automotive one is my desired product. So the NUVI line fits well. I want to physically touch and see the products before I buy.

I am also interested in the SD card for the MOAB. Where did you get it from Trevor?

Trevor

https://www.funtreks.com/

Many years ago when I bought mine they were not setup to take orders outside the US via their websites online ordering system. So I just called them direct and placed the order that way without issue. That was a while back, so you may be able to do it online now.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

SpeedyJ

I second (third?) GPSCentral, they're prices are very hard to beat.

I've helped manage a fleet of ~120 Montanas at work and I'm pretty happy with them. They are super flexable - set it up like a Nuvi, or bike computer, or geocaching or...... You can save profiles, which allows you to toggle between the different modes pretty easily.

That said, I do want to play with some of the new Android based units...

-J