Nice D90 mod

Started by Trevor, January 09, 2016, 02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

As one of the comments to the video mentions, "nice American twist on the Landy." I'd agree, they did a nice job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-tG3KcdEVI
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Rambler

Thanks for sharing.  It is a nice looking Land Rover.  :)
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Matt H

I'd be scared to use it.

I would either wrap it around a lamp post driving too fast or ruin the CNC'ed TIG welded custom creation in the bush.

Just shows there is still plenty new and interesting stuff you can do with an old 90!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Pretty sure people don't off road in a $200k restomod.  I'm not a fan of the design work on his defenders. The mechanical stuff is run of the mill that a ton of people are doing.

Matt H

Yeah, I've been reading several forum threads about LS engine swaps in utility Land Rovers over the last year or so and while it's all very impressive stuff I'm always left wondering why? LS swaps have been the hot ticket for the last ten years in everything with wheels so I suppose it's inevitable that guys will start putting them into LR's.

Where do you find clients with $200K to spend on a 90?

binch

I didn't hear anything about a larger fuel tank.... Still getting 150 miles per tank????
Cheers, Bill

Red90

The LS swaps give lots of power and good mileage. Mileage is close to a TDI. That and the low cost low mileage donor drivetrains.

There is a guy in the States that is making all of the parts needed to swap in Gen 4 engines with 6 speed gearbox.  All bolt in to a V8 chassis.

Everything remains functional including the active cylinder de-activation, so you get both the power and the mileage.  LMG, LC9, LY5, LY6, L92 or LSA.  An LC9, 5.3 liter is 320 hp, 335 lb-ft.  An L92 is 6.2 l, 403 hp, 417 lb-ft.  All available brand new with all the accessories or at pretty much in any junk yard out of low mileage Chevy trucks.

Matt H

Not sure I'd describe a low mileage late model gen IV engine and matching transmission as low cost? Even From a wrecker it's a pretty hefty investment just for the parts.

Red90

In comparison to other options, the main parts are cheaper.  The total install cost would be more than a LR option as all the conversion parts are not cheap, but it is apples and oranges on the end result.

New fully dressed engine and gearbox from GM is around $10000 USD.  IIRC, the guys in the States say you can get low mileage used for around $3000.  what other options are you able to source in that price range?  You can do gen 3 as well, much cheaper but you lose some of the nice things like the cylinder deactivation.

Matt H

You can pick up good (even rebuilt and improved sometimes) 4.6 Rover V8's for under $1K all day long. No fancy adapters or totally swapped out power train required. Same deal with LR oil burners.

Red90

ECRs first LS install.

Quote from: ECRAfter having driven this truck, I am having a really hard time trying to find any argument for why a Rover V8 should live in that space.

Red90

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f9/gm-ls-drivetrain-with-nicks-adapter-for-sale-68151.html#post710837

5.3l, 320 hp, low mileage, full drivetrain, all setup.  Ready to bolt into your V8 Land Rover.