sale: PA Keeper Winch, $388

Started by ugly_90, December 22, 2015, 07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

I visited the local Princess Auto, and noted they have a Keeper brand 8500lb winch, regular $599 now at $388. The few they had were sold out, they checked and had none in the warehouse. They gave me a raincheck at the sale price, when the next boat gets in. The sale ends soon, on December 27th.

The Keeper is a second-line winch, but it is freespooling. Not the high-tech winch needed in competition, but may suffice for someone without a winch, for a second truck or trailer too. Again, in a value argument, it's hard to expect a better winch for less money, especially where our dollar has fallen lately.

ugly_90

I received the winch today, and most of it is as-expected.

The apparant build quality for the winch is good, and it looks like there had a been a little more effort with the casting and assembly than with unbranded chinese winches.

The wired remote control however, leaves something to be desired, it's fairly light, and doesn't look very survivable if it were to be abused. For the low cost of the winch, this could likely be rebuilt with a piece of aluminum tube or a heavy small aluminum enclosure, as the switch likely isn't that complex.

The roller fairlead is included, and is quite poor. The plating on the roller is so poor, it isn't even smooth. I don't expect that to last, or to even be kept.

I would say the winch is a good buy at $388. I wouldn't see myself paying more than $500 for it though, for more you'd be better buying a better branded winch.