final galvanizing run

Started by ugly_90, December 14, 2015, 07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

Probably my last group galvanizing run. Please have your parts off and ready for pickup in southside Edmonton for the late morning January 2nd. If your parts are cleaned of all paint and corrosion by wire wheel on a grinder, it will greatly reduce your sandblasting time and your bill.

Having closed sections of steel opened up with drilled holes at bottom will reduce billing also.

I can receive sizes from " fist" sized to the maximum that will fit in a six foot truck bed. No really small parts on this run.

binch

Good to know!   I should have some parts for you by then I think ;-)

Just curious and for future info,  How are they billing for the sandblasting?
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

The billing for sandblasting shows as a line item on the receipt,  without any subtotal amount. When I sent a sandblasted chassis in, it came out galvanized with only a $167 charge. When I sent them a much smaller pile of raw unprepared bits last round it came out as $247 or so. From what I've seen in the past math, they seem to charge industry-standard rates for the blasting, but you have far more leverage having the blasting done elsewhere on larger jobs, as the charges are easier to understand and resolve.

As with the powder coat shop here, I believe blasting is roughly half the cost of the job. It takes me awhile to cabinet blast parts here at the shop, and I'm also using an industrial blaster. Daam would have to pass those labour costs along.

binch

yeah that make sense.   The one good thing about it is it's a one stop service.   No driving all over hells half acres to get the various jobs done.    That convenience alone is worth it ;-)
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

I would add a comment here about the wider economics.

Zinc prices have fallen plenty from where they were over the past few years, the dollar is down, and I would say headed lower. While I could see Zinc falling a bit, I don't see our dollar buying more of it in the next few years.

That said, as with importing land rover parts across the border, don't expect it to cost less in a year or two. Probably get most of your galvanizing and importing done " soon"

ugly_90

I just recieved a call from Daam Galvanizing, it seems the parts are ready. They asked if I wanted the threads cleaned, which they would bill for, I declined, and we'll do that ourselves. I asked about blasting, it seems they'll take any rusted bare steel and acid dip it, but if there's paint or lacquer or anything, it needs to be blasted first.

Red90

Quote from: ugly_90 on January 07, 2016, 01:34 PM
I just recieved a call from Daam Galvanizing, it seems the parts are ready. They asked if I wanted the threads cleaned, which they would bill for, I declined, and we'll do that ourselves. I asked about blasting, it seems they'll take any rusted bare steel and acid dip it, but if there's paint or lacquer or anything, it needs to be blasted first.

So if they are not akali dipping to remove organics, before acid dipping, what is going on with the inside of chassis' they are doing?  I'm assuming nobody is opening up the chassis to blast the inside.