Range Rovers though the GAP

Started by headdamage, April 08, 2021, 08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

Matt H

I've seen the Darrien Gap Range Rover when I visited the British Motor museum with my Farther. My poor old Dad had to wander around for over two hours by himself while I examined every inch of that vehicle. They still carry all the dents and scratches from the journey. So amazing that these cars still exist.

I am a huge fan of Range Rovers from childhood and a veteran of the 17/21 Lancers and so i feel a very personal connection to this particular expedition.

The Blue and White colour scheme were the Regimental colours and the Range Rover vehicle crews were all serving members of 17th 21st Lancers.

Apparently the leadership of the 17/21L vehicle crews and Major Blashford-Snell didn't get along. The prime source of this quarrel was Blashford-Snell's somewhat Belligerent insistence that all the equipment (including gear that was needed for the Alaska section of the journey) should be carried though the Darrien Gap.

An amazing story that is now the stuff of absolute Land Rover LEGEND.

Death Or Glory.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

I went to the see the Dunsfold collection 3 years ago and one of the RRC's was there.....along with over a hundred other notable landies.   Oh what a sight it was to see (the whole collection). ;D

This is part of their collection:
https://www.dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/collection/
Cheers, Bill

Red90

You'd think that they could have designed stronger diffs after that lesson....