Brand New 90 fuel tank

Started by binch, November 18, 2016, 12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Got a brand new (still wrapped up) fuel tank forsale.   Part number ESR2242

Okay, the parts are in now and I have the bill for the fuel tank.   Price is $290cdn

PM me if you are interested.....    ;)
Cheers, Bill

camo388

Ooh, I do like your drawing. :D    Is what you see, is what you get?? :P   he he
Would it fit Craig's Series 2A??

binch

In the parts description it says it's suitable for 90's but doesn't say anything about series....so I'm thinking no.
Cheers, Bill

camo388

I can only go by what my Lightweight frame looks like and I'd say it would fit by cutting off front fuel tank outrigger and making new bracket coming off bulkhead outrigger.
On my Lightweight the front fuel tank outrigger only holds up the fuel tank, so not a big loss.  Normally I lift the seat to fill the fuel tank but on a civvy Series, the filler is already through the side of the box.  So in my case the filler hose off the rear of the 90 tank, could be the biggest problem as initially looks like I would need to go up into the box then come out the side for filler spout.  Do able but would change the looks a bit.  Original tank is only 10 gallons so bigger is better. ::)
So I'd say it can be done with a little cutting and making up a new bracket. ;D
Found this on net so someone has modified filler.

Red90

With 5" less wheelbase on an 88 than a 90, I would worry about it being too long more than anything.

Just build your own.  You are a retired welder.....  That way you can make it properly strong.  Or put one in the rear.  An older Jeep tank will fit.

Also ignore the strange 60 liter in the description.  They are 12 gallons (54 liters).

camo388

From my measurements the 90 tank will fit length wise between the firewall bulkhead outrigger and the front tub outrigger.  Getting it in place and still be able to connect rear filler hose might be a different story.  If 90 tank is only 12 gallons I'm only gaining 2 gallons in capacity. :o  To keep top fill feature, making my own tank will be a better option.  I'm sure if my tank fills all the space available, I should gain enough capacity to make building it worthwhile.  The horizontal seam on the 90 tank takes up precious space. 

Red90

Are you not changing to a diesel?  The stock 90 liters will get you an 800 km range. That is a long way in a Lightweight.  :)

camo388

Yes, changing to 2.5NA.  In stock condition, the fuel tank is level with the bottom of the frame but lower :o than the sill plate.  For added protection to fuel tank, I would remove sill plate and add sliders.  I have to add a fitting to the fuel tank for the diesel return line so at same time was considering making tank capacity larger.  First thought was fitting a 90 tank as all fittings are there and get the added capacity at same time.  Now to take measurements and see if custom tank gains any more capacity.  It could be a toss up if capacity is similar as to which tank would be less work and/ or money.  The LWT is so small I want to avoid carrying a jerry can for extra fuel.  If range is as you say, this may all be a pipe dream, except for sliders.

Red90

The return line on the 90 tank is no more than a hole and a couple of self tappers with a gasket.  Pretty simple to add to your existing tanks.

camo388

90 tank into a LWT is a NO GO!
Took careful measurements off Adam's 90 fuel tank and it will not fit into my LWT.  Length wise it is good but width wise, the tank top is 1/2" too wide to fit into the seat box. Ahh!  :'(  A bit of a bummer as it would have made a quick solution to getting more capacity and have all the fittings for my conversion from gas to diesel engine.
The horizontal tank seam would have to be against the bottom of the frame and then likely fowl on the rear spring hanger.   A civvy 88" is wider than a LWT so there should be room for the tank top into the seat box but then there could still be issues with the rear spring hanger. Ahhh! :'( 

Calculating from measurements of space, I could make on paper a 68 litre tank.  This would be a full jerry can over the stock fuel tank. 

Now the $64,000 question is, do I build a tank and not have to ever carry a jerry can that I don't have a lot of space for ?? 
Do I only build one for the right side to offset the weight of the driver.?  ::) HeHe

Thanks for your picture John.  In my case I can put my hand into the tank through the top fill so could use more secure nut and bolt.

binch

build one and bomb proof it for those particularly nasty jumping rocks  ;)
Cheers, Bill

camo388

I had an email from Claus, who has a 2.25 diesel in his LWT.  He gets 900 kms from the 2 of 45 litre tanks, so says I shouldn't need to go bigger.  Sounds to be farther than I'd want to drive at one time, especially considering the LWT doesn't have the luxury of RR seats. ;D

binch

Yeah that sounds about right.   The 2.5 does pretty good on mileage even in the 110  ::)
Cheers, Bill

camo388

I had a quick look on line at usual LR parts suppliers, for the diesel return, elbow fitting as shown in John's picture. 
:o :o They START at $40 and genuine is $84  :o :o  and this is before shipping!
Good thing I have a couple old fuel tanks I can rob the suction pipe from and cut off the fine screen end.

Red90

It is just a plate and a piece of tubing.  10 minutes of fabrication.