Complete 3rd members, front and rear, for Disco 2

Started by Trevor, October 23, 2016, 05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I'm going to be changing my D2 to 4.75 HD crown & pinions and Ashcroft air lockers. One option I have is to simply purchase the complete 3rd members assembled direct from Ashcroft.

I'm curious if anyone would be interested in purchasing my 3rd members from my D2 if I go that route. Here's a rundown of what's in them..

Front:

-- 4.11 GBR Crown and Pinion, installed 2 years ago, all bearings replaced at that time
-- Detroit Truetrac Limited Slip Locker; 5 years on this, however these are extremely durable and are life of vehicle type lockers
-- Diff housing

Rear:

-- 4.11 GBR Crown and Pinion, installed 2 years ago, it had a thorough inspection this past spring when I snapped my axle. Everything in excellent shape and all bearings replaced last spring.
-- Detrot Full Locker; installed new last spring
-- Diff housing

I'd be looking for $900 for the pair, and would only be interested in selling them as a pair. Worth noting, you can't get the lockers for that much, let alone the gears, bearings, and then assembly (if you aren't able to do the assembly yourself of course).

I won't be doing this until sometime this winter. I'm just checking to see if there is any interest in these complete 3rd member units. 
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Check with Steve Allard...this sounds right up his alley!   Or maybe Curtis is interested ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Good deal. Why not go with a low range kit instead? That way you don't lose R&P strength and can still drive fast on the road.

Cruzer

I will take the pair for $900 if you do the swap.

Trevor

Sounds good Don, consider them yours.

John, good suggestion, and one I'm planning on incorporating as well. GBR has these low range kits available...

http://gbrutah.com/product-catalog/coil-sprung-transfer-case-gearing/

...and my plan is to do this at the same time. I'm not too concerned about road speed anymore though as this vehicle is largely seeing use in Moab only now and is trailered down.

Insofar as the crown and pinions go, one of the other options I'm looking at is GBR's Extreme duty 4.71 set (7x33 tooth count). It's a stronger option than the Ashcroft route, and quite frankly, the set I would prefer. However if I go this route I would likely not have GBR do a complete 3rd member build as they only sell ARB lockers, and I would much prefer the Ashcrofts.

That's really at the root of what I'm pondering right now regarding the 3rd members. Buying the components separately (Ashcroft lockers andpeg kit, GBR C&P), or doing the complete 3rd member build from one or the other. 

Also, the weakness in the Pound is a factor here too...the Ashcroft route is pretty price competitive (hehe, who thought we would have been saying that a few years ago)   
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

When you are ready, I have your rear offset Dana 60 waiting....
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on October 24, 2016, 11:33 PM
When you are ready, I have your rear offset Dana 60 waiting....

Ready!

I'd be interested in hearing more as I'm going to embark on a set of substantial upgrades. This is not something I've considered.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, don't worry about it. I've got enough spent on the current direction, having just installed 300M axle shafts all around, that I want to stay this path. I kinda like keeping the framework still D2. Swapping out entire rear ends and whatnot will be another project, with a different rig (D1/Defender) that's a bit easier to modify I think.
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

I had a matched set of right side drop Dana 60's at one time, front and rear. I sold the front but they are much easier to find. Still have the rear. It's from a J20 FSJ with a Borg warner Tcase. But unless you are going with seriously big tyres (like 37"+) the larger diff will likely reduce ground clearance.

Nice to keep the Land Rover architecture though. That's part of the reason I never used it myself. That and the usual 'lack of time' excuse.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

pechanec

Curtis is VERY interested, if they haven't found a home yet

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Trevor

Quote from: pechanec on November 09, 2016, 09:57 AM
Curtis is VERY interested, if they haven't found a home yet

They are spoken for at this point.
― George Orwell, 1984

pechanec

Let me know if it changes.....