spare wheel hold-downs that...don't!

Started by 5spd, April 04, 2016, 09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5spd

Not sure if this should go up here or in parts wanted!  but i'm hoping someone can help.  I think the spare wheel hold-down setup we have on the 88 is wrong.

Whilst hurtling at the breakneck top speed of 65 (kph) today, I crossed a set of railroad tracks.  yes, my bad.  the spare wheel, mounted on the hood of the 88, came off and rose majestically to eye level,  but thankfully landed back on its rubber bumpers.  When I pulled over, i couldn't immediately fit the little hooks and bolts back on to the rim, so put the spare in the back and came home.

attached are two photos, trying to show the bolts and hooks.  i think my bolts are too short, and have no cotter pin holes drilled through their tips, and i think the funny hooks are also too short to clamp the rim, or fit a 'hook' through any avail hole.

It's going into the back till I can sort this, but anyone that can point me straight, please do.
Chris

Red90

The long leg goes down and on the inside.

Rambler

Hi Chris

Sorry to hear that.  The bolts for the bonnet spare wheel (with a hole at the bottom for the split pin) are part number 345779 (or 307234) They should be about 2.75" in length.  Bolts are ½" BSF thread.

The Z shaped hold downs come in 2 sizes to fit different sizes of series wheels SWB and LWB (5 and 5.5 inches thick).  I dont think these will secure the thicker wolf style wheels so people tend to make their own bracketry.

The part numbers for the 2 which of course are probably NLA or unobtainium prices are: 347262 and 90307235 (or 307235). This latter has a long leg length of 15/16",whereas 347262 has a long leg length of 1.5 inches. 

Actually, in searching just now.  I see that roversnorth has 90307235 listed at 16 usd.  Paddocks lists 347262 for sale also, but these look to be the short style ...  Who knows if they are the correct length  longer Z clamps.

Hope this helps.  Ian

Edit.  Actually in reading the description. The paddockspares ones are those for the LWB (5.5" thick) wheels. 

See

http://www.paddockspares.com/clamp-for-bonnet-spare-wheel-series-2-and-3.html

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

5spd

Well gents, that was fast and informative.   Tomorrow I'll have a closer look at the whole setup.  The other factors may be the 215/85 R16 tires, and I'm not sure the wheel type.  The rubber pads under the tire rubber also don't look stock, all which will have an effect.  Much obliged.

Chris

binch

I can see that becoming an issue :o

I didn't have the original hold down on my 110 for the longest time so my neighbor spun off a piece of 1/4" aluminium plate about 8" in diameter, with a bit in the middle just big enough to fit the drive member hole.  This bit was raised about 1/8".   

This stopped anything from shifting in any direction....as long as I remembered to keep the securing bolts snug.     

It's a cheap and cheerful fix that did the job....until I got the correct hold down bracket ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on April 05, 2016, 06:09 AM
I didn't have the original hold down on my 110 for the longest time so my neighbor spun off a piece of 1/4" aluminium plate about 8" in diameter, with a bit in the middle just big enough to fit the drive member hole.  This bit was raised about 1/8".

110s had a different setup, which is probably a little more foolproof.

binch

That set up John shows is what our 110's had but I was missing the bracket the sucked the wheel down to the bonnet.    Here's what my neighbor made up for me to use.   I worked very well too.   If you'd like to use it let me know.....I'll bring it to the gathering tomorrow evening ;-)

Cheers, Bill

5spd

I measured up my Z clamps, and the 'long leg' on mine is 15/16ths of an inch.  my rims are 5.5 inches. so i fabbed up a couple similar brackets and that'll do for now. my bolts are the right length, but have no pin wholes.  will have to drill

that paddock spares version looks the right thing, may order some.

Bill, no need for the plate, but thanks.

Chris