Disco 1 - brake repairs and upgrade

Started by 88Hillman, July 27, 2015, 03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

88Hillman

Guys,

As many are aware, the 1998 Disco we picked up recently needs brakes.  The existing calipers have seized pistons and the rotors are severely pitted from sitting for 3 years.  Every option I could think of has been considered, from all new items to rebuilding the calipers and attempting to clean up the current rotors.  A BIG thank you goes to Andrew Howton and Roza here in Calgary.  On Sunday morning I went to the "Howton LR parts store" and came away with a substantial portion of what I was looking for.  Keep in mind that Andrew is effectively sitting at the North Pole at the moment!  In the haul was

110 front non-vented calipers and rotors
Disco/RR rear rotors
( Also stock rear half shafts as spares)

(Another thanks goes to Trevor for offering his spares, which duplicate part of the haul from Andrew's place.  When he comes back from the AMT trip I may be talking to him about some of those items too.)

As it happens, this would match the 88" exactly which would be nice for parts interchange.  It does however leave me without rear calipers and all pads/pins/springs.  If anyone out there has these items on hand, please let me know.  These will be ordered shortly if there aren't any kicking around.  ;)

One thing I really don't know is the impact 110 calipers will have on the effectiveness of the ABS.  If anyone can provide useful information about the positive or negative results, it would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Kirk

NB- long term I would like to convert everything to vented front, but won't likely bother until such time as I'm buying all new hardware.

Matt H

I may be able to help with the rear brake stuff but I won't have any time to seriously look until I get back from the UK at the end of August.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

88Hillman

Matt,

Thanks.  If I don't have it sorted by then I'll drop you a line!

Cheers,
Kirk