A worrying sound

Started by Already a Rover, June 27, 2015, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Already a Rover

Hi -

The last couple of days I've been hearing a regular clunking sound as I slow-down to almost zero with the clutch in or out of gear.  It starts off very quiet then gets louder before it stops, which it does just before the truck does.  I noticed yesterday that the truck is lurching in reverse in a kind-of similar way. 

I think something is loose and just not quite disengaging, but I really have no idea of what is inside a gearbox.  One possible cause is the Starter came loose on me a couple of weeks ago and there was lots of grinding.  Could there be some metal broken off the flywheel which has jammed something? 

Thanks,

Jim

Red90

Really hard to tell anything over the internet.  I would look at u-joints first.

Already a Rover

Hi - thanks.  I will be under there soon.  I think it is coming from the transmission, and did check u-joints when I had it on the hoist a few weeks ago, but will do it again. 

I will also try to record it on my phone and see if it can be posted on here.

Jim

Already a Rover

The Blue Mosquito is up on jacks while I pull spring-packs and do sound-proofing - to be continued.

I've been looking for something loose, but nothing yet.

jim

Rambler

Hi Jim, might also be that the castle nut on the rear output shaft has come lose.  Found this was the cause of a similar sound with my Series 3 last year.  When I replaced the leaking rear output seal the big nut was missing its split pin and very loose.  Hope it is a simple fix.  Have been reading with interest about your soundproofing on the other site.  Cheers, Ian
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Already a Rover

Hi.  The soundproofing with the tiles is done and it was 200% more successful than I had hoped!!  If others are interested I can post a link.

I've been spending a lot of time up-close-and-personal with the underside of my LR the last 2 weeks and haven't seen anything loose, but will look at that nut specifically.

Yesterday night I drove it again for the first time and did not notice the noise.

Jim

Rambler

Glad to hear you are happy with the soundproofing.  Will put this on the very long list of things to do during my rebuild.  Still hoping to sell the Series 3...
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Already a Rover

Drat - forgot to look tonight.  Wuz busy finishing-off my spring-removal project, 100% successful!!

Oh - the original purpose of this thread:  The noise has disappeared for now....

Thanks,

Jim

Already a Rover

Hi, sound still gone.  More soundproofing done and couldn't be happier.

Also I changed transmission oil and added Lucas Tranny Fix - Much Much Quieter and shifts better.  Doesn't pop out of third any more either.

Jim