Keeper Winch

Started by 3Rovers, October 22, 2017, 03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3Rovers

Princess auto has a 8500lb Keeper winch with synthetic line on sale for under 500$.
Anyone have an opinion on using this on a D90?
Not likely to be used alot, but want it to do the job when needed.

ugly_90

I think I did a review on here a few years ago, when I picked up the same winch at PA for around $300?

You can search for and review that article. Essentially it appears as a passable winch, but I wouldn't pay anything near their MSRP for it. Additionally, it seemed no better in any way than a comparable Superwinch.

The Superwinch does go on sale at places like Canadian Tire from time to time, but I'm unsure of the amount of that discount.

I certainly wouldn't return a discounted Superwinch to CT in order to go out and buy a Chinese Keeper winch from PA.

binch

Don't know anything about the winch I'm afraid.   But like Costco..they have a great warranty program. ;D
Cheers, Bill

pechanec

We ran a 7500lb receiver mount keeper on the discos for a few years. Performed fine, still working, just a little small so we got bigger winches(smittybilt submersible)

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Matt H

I'm a bit of a brand snob with winches. I'd rather save up to buy a $1000 used Warn winch than a $500 new Chinese winch. Not that they don't have their place. I used one for years on my flat deck trailer to move dead cars on and off. I just wouldn't want to trust one on the front of my Land Rover.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

pechanec

Bear in mind, even on the gnarliest trail, most of the recovery work ( except perhaps for the lead vehicle) will be tow strap, not winch , so the total hours on the winch will likely be low

pechanec

So if you solo wheel or lead group a lot, a warn or equivalent is probably money well spent. Otherwise, a little cheaper is probably fine

Red90

I would say that on harder trails you need to winch more often than tow.  Everyone should really have a winch when doing hard stuff as it can be complex to get vehicles close together.  When that is the case, get something fast as there are more interesting things to do than waiting for a slow winch.

3Rovers

I appreciate all the input - keep it coming!
I'm just starting to kick things around.....

pechanec

I agree, faster line speed is better

pechanec

On a different note, an 8500 lb winch is just barely adequate for a D90. Rule of thumb is 1.5 times vehicle laden weight minimum. After a few years Wheeling, I prefer at least 2 times. And a snatch block!

Trevor

A good quality 8500lb winch (Warn 8274 as an example) is more than ample for a D90, or a 110 for that matter. I would also caution going larger than one needs...the higher the pull weight, the slower the winch. So don't give up speed for pull capacity if it is not needed. I do agree snatch blocks are certainly your friend and should be used when the pulls get heavy.

The important variable here is the make of the winch. A Warn is infinitely superior to these Princess Auto, made-in-China offerings. A Warn will pull harder, longer and much more reliably than the discount winches. Their motors and wiring are far superior, brakes much more robust, and gearing and body casings far higher quality.

Now, I'm not saying don't buy a discount winch. All I'm saying is don't be upset when it shits all over itself when you're stuck in the bush 100 miles from help. Winches, probably more than any other piece of equipment for off-roading, are a "you get what you pay for" entity. A discount winch is great if you aren't going to use it much, and only will use it with others around on short day trips. In that environment, the reliability/strength of the winch is not as critical, so nothing wrong with saving a few bucks if that is what one wants to do.

But if you wheel alone, get yourself into rather nasty winching situations regularily, or spend time on longer overland journeys far away from help, then there is no other product to consider imo than Warn (well, Superwinch is a good option as well).
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

3Rovers

Thanks Trevor! Sound advice.
Think I will give the Keeper a miss.