Locking Hubs

Started by mike.heathcote, April 26, 2019, 12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike.heathcote

Hey All,

I'm thinking of switching the free wheeling hubs on my series 2 to the permanently locked hubs (same as on the back wheels).

In reading other sites, is this really as simple as swapping out the drive flanges, seals etc?

Thanks,

Mike

binch

As long as you are able to open the center diff they will work.   But I thought the vehicles that had free wheel hubs lost that....best to check with those that know much more then I do just to make sure..... ???
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Yes, it is that simple.

Red90

Quote from: binch on April 26, 2019, 07:33 AM
As long as you are able to open the center diff they will work.   But I thought the vehicles that had free wheel hubs lost that....best to check with those that know much more then I do just to make sure..... ???

No center diff.  Rear wheel drive or four wheel drive.

mike.heathcote

Wow, that's awesome - thanks gentlemen!! 

The number of times a 'simple' issue on my truck turned into something bigger, I'm immediately suspicious if something is truly as easy as it sounds.  haha!! 

Rambler

It is that simple.  Just make sure you have the little felt/rubber seal fitted to the end of the axle half shaft.  I have read that this can be the cause of oil leaks out the hub, when normal wheel flanges are fitted.
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas